The Mark of Athena (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

"Consider me warned," Percy said. "I missed you, too."

Annabeth rose and helped him to his feet. He wanted to kiss her again so badly, but he figured they'd have time for that later.

Jason cleared his throat. "So, yeah . . . It's good to be back."

He introduced their other two companions; Piper McLean, a girl with choppy brown hair and eyes that changed color, a daughter of Aphrodite; and Leo Valdez, a short boy with curly hair that kind of reminded Percy of an elf, a son of Hephaestus. Leo grinned and flashed a peace sign.

"And this is Annabeth," Jason said. "Uh, normally she doesn't judo-flip people."

Percy chuckled and Annabeth lightly kicked him.

Reyna's eyes sparkled. "You sure you're not a Roman, Annabeth? Or an Amazon?"

Percy winced. He did not want to introduce Annabeth to the Amazons. He had a feeling that wouldn't end well for him.

Annabeth held out her hand. "I only attack my boyfriend like that," she promised. "Pleased to meet you."

Reyna shook her hand. "It seems we have a lot to discuss. Centurions!"

A few of the Roman campers hustled forward. Frank and Hazel appeared at Percy's side, and he noticed Annabeth studying them. The two of them stood closer together than usual, and Percy was glad they'd finally gotten together. But Hazel kept staring in Piper and Leo's direction, frowning.

Percy suddenly remembered the photo he'd seen in Hazel's old home in Seward of her old friend Sammy. He looked exactly like Leo. Percy didn't know what to make of that, so he made a mental note to check in with Hazel later.

Reyna was giving orders to the officers. ". . . tell the legion to stand down. Dakota, alert the spirits in the kitchen. Tell them to prepare a welcome feast. And, Octavian—"

"You're letting these intruders into the camp?" Octavian elbowed his way forward. "Reyna, the security risks—"

"We're not taking them to the camp, Octavian." Reyna flashed him a stern look. "We'll eat here, in the forum."

"Oh, much better," Octavian grumbled. "You want us to relax in the shadow of their warship."

"These are our guests." Reyna clipped off every word. "We will welcome them, and we will talk to them. As augur, you should burn an offering to thank the gods for bringing Jason back to us safely."

"Good idea," Percy put in. "Go burn your bears, Octavian."

Reyna looked like she was trying not to smile. "You have my orders. Go."

The officers dispersed. Octavian shot Percy a look of absolute loathing. Percy didn't care. Then Octavian gave Annabeth a suspicious once-over and stalked away.

Percy slipped his hand into Annabeth's. "Don't worry about Octavian," he said. "Most of the Romans are good people—like Frank and Hazel here, and Reyna. We'll be fine."

Annabeth suddenly tensed beside him and looked up at the ship. Its massive bronze hull glittered in the sunlight.

"We'll be fine," she repeated, though she didn't sound sure.

"Excellent," Reyna said. She turned to Jason, and Percy thought there was a hungry sort of gleam in her eyes. "Let's talk, and we can have a proper reunion."

The food was great, as usual. Percy was even starting to warm up to Jason, Piper, and Leo as they traded stories and began planning for their trip to stop Gaea. Afterward, Percy had wanted to take Annabeth around New Rome—finally get some alone time with her—but Reyna had insisted on talking to her. Frank and Hazel wandered off together, and so did Jason and Piper. Leo was up on the Argo II with Octavian, so Percy was left alone.