Chapter 8: Are You Serious?

ابدأ من البداية

"Were you able to find her, Gojo, and Geto?"

Satoru and Suguru step to the side, revealing a space free of my presence. Their eyes bug out of their faces, making me snicker.

"I am over here by the cherry blossom tree."

The middle-aged sorcerer storms over to me, knuckles clenched. He stops short of where I am standing, blinking rapidly under his shades. His heart rate slows down a bit, and his brow furrows. His fists uncurl.

"May I help you?"

Now the sorcerer looks away from me. His heart drops to the ground. I turn my attention to the yellow-chested blackbird who has been eyeing me for two minutes. It perches on my shoulder without prompting.

"Gojo, and Geto, take her to the Elders at once."

"Why are they meeting with us now?"

"I did not say they were meeting all three of you, just her. Now go!"

"On it, sir."

The middle-aged sorcerer walks away from us, glancing over his shoulder one last time before disappearing. A firm hand rests on my shoulder, causing me to turn around, fists raised.

"Easy there. I am not going to hurt you."

"Do not touch me without consent!" I storm off to the furthest building on the left.

Meanwhile

"It is 11:30 am. Where are Gojo and Geto with Santa-Clara?"

"Yaga did not specify when they would arrive."

"I knew we should have done something with Shara and Jorgen while they were students! It would not have been a waste to have..."

"Might I suggest bitting your tongue? They are close."

The dimly lit hallway reflects how I feel right now: hallow, clutching to the shred of hope left in my heart. I move forward with Satoru and Suguru keeping a respectful distance.

Slide.

"And here she is, welcome to Jujutsu Technical College, Miss Santa-Clara. We have anticipated your arrival for some time. May we offer you a seat?"

"I would prefer standing in place, thank you."

"We were not asking if you wanted to sit. Get in here!" I grip my bag and stare into a face with more piercings than I can count.

I let out a quiet sigh, pulling my shoulders back before sitting across from the two Elders.

"Gojo and Geto, please see yourselves out. This meeting does not concern you."

"We would like to stay during the meeting."

"We said..."

"Leave. There is no point in escalating your words into a full-on fight. And take this with you." I hand Suguru my backpack.

"Are you sure you will be..."

"I will be alright. Thanks."

After the door closes, my mouth salivates, I keep my body posture straight, and the corners of my mouth spread out. I make eye contact with facial pricing Elder.

"How about we start with getting the smirk off your face."

"Nice meeting you as well. Please call me Blaise. And your name is?"

"Principal Gakugangi, I help run the sister school in Kyoto."

Hurried shuffling sounds draw my attention away from Gakugangi's ramblings. And then...

"Well, I should have known you would show up." My eyes bulge out of their sockets as I address someone who is not blondie. Then my brow furrows as he comes through the door.

"Pick, your chin off the floor, girl. We have a lot to discuss."

I stack my knees atop each other, leaning forward in my seat. My eyes squint as Gakuganji starts blabering again.

"Now that we are all accounted for, Santa-Clara, we brought you to campus for your safety. As you can surmise, people are looking to harm you."

"Kindly stop talking down to me."

"How about you watch your tone. By the way, my name is Naoya Zenin. I am sure you are familiar with my lineage."

"Can't say that I am. Why am I here?" I look Gaguganji straight in the eyes while talking. "You had some pretty harsh words regarding my parents not too long ago."

"Did I now? The only words I had to say regarding your parents was how spectacular they were as sorcerers." Everyone in the room, save Naoya and me, nod their heads in agreement.

Five minutes is all I am giving myself before leaving.

"What have you done with the cursed object from Abitha School for Young Minds?"

"The only cursed object I have in my possession is a knife."

"Do not lie to us. We would hate for you to start your tenure on rough terms."

"I am starting to feel unsafe and leaving."

"Not until you answer our question. Where is the cursed object?"

I shrug my shoulders, clasp my elbows, and lean back. Satoru and Suguru are right outside the door.

"It would be wise for you to answer, Santa-Clara. Getting into a fight with any of us will result in serious injuries or death." Says the individual whom I assume is Naoya's father.

"Then there are the times you have cursed civilians and multiple truancies."

"I can neither confirm nor deny I committed the mentioned acts. I have an appointment in two hours and want to eat. Have a nice day."

Slide. Click.

"We will continue this conversation on a later date, Santa-Clara. Don't try running and hiding."

I curl my fist and walk out with my head held high.

"Ya know, it is just like a Zen'In to take a stab at someone without prompting," Satoru states as he closes the door.