"Then as long as I'm here I'll protect you, my Lady," he vowed.

Calysta pulled away and raised her brow at him. "Merlin, you don't have to address me like that."

He gave a nervous chuckle. "I'm sorry. Just...Just a force of habit." Merlin let out a breath and went back on topic. "Um, about the tournament. Is there any way you could tell Uther about Valiant?"

"Without proof? No. My father hates magic and accusing a well-respected knight isn't something he'll take lightly. A servant telling him wouldn't do much and he won't listen to me if I say anything. Without evidence, my father would be humiliated and displeased with such accusations. He'll just assume that I'm only making false pretenses to ensure Arthur wins."

"So that's it? We can't do something?"

"Unless we can make Valiant use his shield out in the open or cure Ewan, then no." Merlin sighed. "Believe me, Merlin, I wish there was something I could do but -"

Merlin shook his head. "I'm not blaming you, Callie. I just...I can't keep my mouth shut knowing this is happening."

"The most I can do I warn, Arthur. My brother is stubborn but he does take what I have to say at heart when it matters. He might not look it but my brother can be smart."

Merlin scoffed. "Oh, sure the prat is smart," he commented sarcastically, which got the girl to laugh.

"Believe me, Merlin. We'll figure something out."

》》》》

And they haven't yet. The next morning, the tournament continued. Just as Calysta predicted, Valiant and Arthur are going to fight each other in the finals. The princess wanted to have dinner with Gauis and Merlin, but Uther wanted her to eat with them. Calysta couldn't deny her father's wishes and went, making sure she sat next to Arthur and far away from Valiant.

The knights clank their cups together before digging in. Calysta sported a frown on her face as she picked at her dinner, glancing at Valiant every now and then. Something Arthur noticed.

"I know you don't like him but at least smile for tonight," he whispered to his sister.

Calysta gave him a tight smile before raising her glass to him. "Only for you, brother."

"So, Valiant," Uther started. "Do you think you stand a chance of defeating my son?"

"He is a great warrior, my Lord," Valiant answered. "I do hope to be a worthy opponent."

"I'm sure you are, Sir Valiant," Calysta commented. "My brother fights with honor, something I'm very proud of as I'm sure my father as well." The girl gave him a sarcastic grin. "Your fighting skills is something I haven't seen before. It's...something I haven't quite seen before."

Arthur gave a nervous chuckle before grabbing his sister's hand and squeezing it while giving her a look.

"Maybe Valiant should stay in Camelot after the tournament," Uther suggested before placing his hand on his daughter's shoulder. "As much as I dislike your training with the knights, maybe Valiant could be your new teacher. We could do with more knights like him."

"That's not really necessary," Arthur argued. "Callie's fine with me and my men training her."

"I'd be honored, my Lord," Valiant accepted. "I have taken a liking to the princess," he looked at Calysta, "so perhaps this gives us time to get to know each other better. One-on-one lessons might do us some good."

Arthur glared at Valiant. Appalled that Valiant is flirting with his sister right in front of them, and angry with his father for allowing it.

Calysta tried not to throw up her meal. "Maybe you'll slither your way into my heart then." Or out the door. Preferably the door. She looked at her father. "Father, I've been meaning to ask but...is it possible for me to get a pet?"

"You want a pet?" Arthur asked skeptically, never in his life has Callie asked for one.

"Of course. What are we thinking?" Uther wondered. "A horse? An owl?"

"I was thinking...perhaps a snake," Calysta slyly suggested while looking at  Valiant, who didn't pay her no mind.

Arthur slapped his handkerchief on his plate before standing up. "I think I shall retire for the night." He hauled his sister up. "As does my sister."

Calysta gave her father a curtsie. "Night, Father. I shall see you in the morning." She smiled at the knights. "It was a pleasure having a meal with all of yo -"

Arthur didn't let her finish. He started to drag her away from the dinner table. "I know you're not very fond of Sir Valiant, but that's taking it a bit far. Don't you think?"

It didn't take them long before they reached his chambers. Arthur yanked his door opened and dragged Calysta in. "Arthur, Valiant isn't the man you think he is," she warned him.

"Of course, he isn't," he replied. Calysta smiled but it faltered once he said, "Pursuing you when we all know Morgana is showing interest. If he does manage to stay in Camelot, I'll make sure he stays far away from you as possible."

Calysta grabbed Arthur's shoulders. "Arthur -"

"That's final. I don't want to hear any more arguments."

"And I'm not arguing." She sighed. "Sir Valiant is using magic."

Arthur furrowed his brows. "What?"

"His shield. It's enchanted with...with...I don't know what. But whatever it is, it makes the snakes come to life and it struck Sir Ewan. That's why he's ill." Arthur rolled his eyes. "Arthur -"

Arthur sat down in his chair. "Callie, I understand that Valiant isn't a good man, but accusing him -"

"I saw it, Arthur," she interrupted. "He was feeding his shield last night. Three snake heads came out and demolished their dinner."

"You saw. What do you mean you saw? What were you doing near his room?"

That's when Arthur's chamber doors swung open and Merlin marched in. "Arthur, I have something to tell you."