Chapter 16

The sound of people punching each other was evidently heard through the rooms of the hallway.

The ferocity in Marcus's actions could be seen by anybody. His fists were hitting his elder brothers non-stop and he didn't even try to conceal his anger even for an instant.

The stench of blood seemed to fit perfectly into the line of actions that were taking place. Mixed with blood and sweat they fought as if they were trying to kill each other like animals in the wild.

Marcus was gone for a few days, only to return to his only younger brother almost dead. The gifts he so thoughtfully purchased for his brother couldn't be received by him anymore.

His father, an old man, running to the royal palace carrying a small child carefully in his arms was the sight he was greeted with when he first arrived at the banquet.

Mason was beaten and bruised all over with a broken leg that was damaged permanently due to late treatment and constant damaged usage. In addition to that, the kid who was always thin, looked so frail that Marcus honestly wouldn't even dare to describe his stature now.

His anger which was caused mainly because of his father was taken upon his brothers and himself. The injuries and swellings on his body made him feel like he was being punished for leaving Mason alone.

Why did I leave him alone for so long? Why didn't I try talking to him before?

What wrong did that 12 year old child do to be treated like this by his own family members?

Prince Liam who was watching over the fight, eventually commanded his knights to stop the three before an actual murder happened. Eventhough it was Marcus who started the fight, Myles and Mikhail had also started to vent their anxiety through their fists.

Prince Liam who was the same age as Myles was his good friend. Thus, he never imagined that there would be a day when he would actually be pleased with Myles being hit.

Myles had brought Mason from the old store room to the duke's study but didn't once infer about him afterwards. It was clear to Liam that none of the family members really cared for Mason except for maybe Marcus.

This was no longer a small matter and had reached even the king's ears. Each and every information about everything that happened was dug up thoroughly. This time no mistakes were allowed.

--------------------------------------

Meanwhile in another huge room, laid on the bed was a small figure with a head full of pink hair, while a visibly tired man was sitting next to him on the bed.

The great Duke Rodolite whom the whole kingdom feared was at the moment afraid himself. Afraid that the moment he takes his eyes of his child, the child would no longer exist. Afraid of his child never waking up and continuing his deep slumber forever. Afraid that he had killed his own child with his own hands. His heart was in constant unrest and anxiousness.

The man who hadn't slept for nights now was waiting patiently for his last son, whom he had neglected for several years, to wake up. He had catered to his son's every need for the past few days in the hopes of fulfilling his duty as a father which he had disregarded previously.

It had been six nights and five days since the banquet. The news of an abused child in the brink of death had spread all over the palace during the banquet.

During the course of five days, Mason had opened and closed his eyes a number of times already, but was consious only for a few seconds. He had yet to gain total consciousness.

Jadon who had disappeared from Mason's sight had appeared again along with Marcus during the banquet. He seemed to have lost half of his soul when he saw Mason, only hoping for the little devil he knew to cause trouble for him again.

He looked so much better causing trouble than sleeping silently with no sign of waking up. Is what Jadon thought.

Did not one soul look after him while I wasn't there? Who am i to ask? I never took care of him well myself.

No words were spoken but the heavy atmosphere was evident. They hadn't gone back to the duke's estate and had stayed at the royal palace at the command of the king. Princess Liana had dared to come and see Mason a few times but was frightened by his injuries and the coma like state he was in. Whereas the twin princes were nowhere to be seen. It was said that they were punished by the king and Prince Liam.

------------------------------------------

Sometime in the evening of the 6th day, the said pink head moved lightly. The sun was setting forming a beatiful gradient along the sky and his father was there reviewing some documents at his side.

Feeling the movement beside him, Maximus immediately turned his attention towards his child. The big doe eyes slowly opened with difficulty. Thinking that he might pass out again he hurriedly brought some water to hydrate him before he went back to sleep. Laying Mason on his chest, he fed him some water carefully, keeping in mind not to accidentally choke him.

After gulping down some water, Mason's eyes still remained open. His eyes were wide open now but it was empty. The eyes that used to sparkle in cheer was devoid of any kind of emotion or expression.

The weakness Mason felt was indescribably. He couldn't do anything, but more than that he had no motive to do anything anymore. He just wanted to go back home. Back to the earth he came from. Was it too much he was asking for? Probably. But he wanted to be selfish, just this once. He wouldn't complain again if he was freed from this torture just this once. Just this once, please.

Maximus hurriedly called for the royal physicians and a lot of things were happening simultaneously. The elder brothers, surprisingly enough, also happened to show up immediately. But the face of the small child hadn't shown a flicker of expression in his poker face.

The room, although big, was soon crowded with a lot of people who only dared to watch from a distance. The physicians were asking questions, only to be replied with silence. Marcus, who was watching over, was happy and anxious at the same time.

Mason doesn't look any better but atleast he woke up. Marcus thought.

The one physician who had certain knowledge about human psychology stopped the other physicians from prompting him to answer and asked them to give him some time to recover his energy first.

The physicians were sent out of the room after the consultation and the heavy atmosphere became more prominent.

When all was checked and done, an easily digestible meal was set before Mason. Even if it was only some porridge, the food made in the royal palace by the hands of the most excellent chefs in the kingdom was not to be underestimated.

A bed table was placed before him and a maid was there to help him since his hands were injured. When the spoon was brought to his lips, Mason started feeling a little hungry. But even if his face remained expressionless, his hands trembled.

I haven't apologized to the princes yet. Father must be angry. Can I eat before apologizing? I should probably apologize first. But I'm really hungry. Is it okay if I apologize after eating?

The spoon and the kind maid were patiently waiting for Mason to open his mouth, not hurrying him one bit. Mason looked at the spoon for a while before he turned his head towards the duke, looking for a response. Anyone and everyone who were observing Mason, could tell in a fraction of second, that Mason was asking for the duke's permission to eat.

The king who came in quietly along with the queen and all his children had a drastic change in his already severe expression.

"What are you doing Duke Maximus?"

-------------------------------------------

A/N - It's been almost a month since I last posted. Thank you guys for waiting patiently and thank you for all your compliments too. It really means a lot. Love you loads.