Twelve

Brandy

"Is that everything from the apartment?" I asked Monica, helping remove the clothing stored away in her suitcase. We were placing them in an empty drawer I owned.

It broke my heart to see her standing in my doorway with luggage at her side—in a whirl of distraught—having being thrown out of her home.

"No, but I'll get the rest tomorrow," the woman answered me, shrugging her shoulders. She closed the drawer just after the last piece of clothing. "Kinda don't wanna step a foot back in there at all, to be honest."

It was evident for me to believe that when she packed her belongings, she only grabbed what she could.
"Then don't," I told her, my shoulders shrugged as well. "Whatever it is, I can replace it."

Monica looked at me sideways, sighing a bit. "Brandy, no. You've already helped me enough by letting me stay here until I find my own place. I couldn't ask you for anything more than that."

I grabbed at her hands, pulling her closer to me. "Look, we're together now. We not just messing around like before. And I already told you that I'll take care of you so please let me." I then reached for the woman's waist, lining hers with my own. "Besides, you going back over there to get the rest of that stuff is like giving CPR to a dead situation. Leave it and let Cornell be. I got you."

Playfully, Monica rolled her eyes and smiled some. She held onto me just as I did her, gripping my waist, tightly. She then placed her lips upon mine, kissing me softly.

For a moment we stood closely, forgetting time in the way our lips moved, allowing them to blend perfectly. This was a touch we missed, a feeling we both craved in the time we'd lost.

"Okay, but wait a minute," Monica broke the smooch, giving me curious eyes. "You still haven't told me who Kelly is..."

I sighed, my pupils rolled circularly. I thought we could get through the night without Kelly on topic, but I should've known Monica to not allow me to live it down. She just wasn't going for that.
"Kelly is just my best friend, Mo. No one to worry about, I promise. She moved about four hours away a few years ago and now and then she just hits the road and comes to visit me. That's all."

It was true. Kelly and I attended the same college and met just within our freshman year. We grew close swiftly, creating a friendship that lasted even beyond our education. We experienced so much together. So many highs, lows, and even experiences we both promised to take to our graves.

"I called her awhile back when I found out Jason was involved with other men and she'd promise to come as soon as she could," I went on, giving Monica the explanation she rightfully deserved. "But she's usually so busy with work, she couldn't come right away. She surprised me when she showed up."

Monica took a step back, crossing her arms just over her chest. "Mhmm. So is she into girls, too? She get down like that?"

I laughed, finding humor in the obvious jealousy the woman held. "I don't know if—I mean she might—I'm not sure. I don't know." My shoulders moved up and down. I truly was uncertain of Kelly's sexuality. I knew that in college she dibbled and dabbed with girls, but she'd never exactly been clear about her preferences.

"How is she your best friend and you don't know if she likes girls?" The other woman asked me, crossing her arms just over her chest, tilting her neck. "That don't even sound right, B."