Chapter Twenty-Three: Sunny, Saturday

Start from the beginning

Birinder met them at the door so they didn't even have to knock. He was dressed in khakis and a white collarless button down. Sunny suddenly felt like he'd overdressed in a suit and tie; Birinder saved his formal wear for work, it seemed.

"You made it!" he said.

"We did. Thanks again for the invitation, you have a lovely house."

"Thank you. Is this far from where you used to live?"

"Not far at all. Lawrence Street is just west of here, and the gurdwara I attend is very close by."

"It must be the same one my parents attend, then. Please, come in."

In the entryway, Naira greeted them too, looking happy to see them. Unlike Tej, though, she was dressed casually in a soft pink sweater and grey slacks. Beside her stood an elderly couple, Birinder's parents most likely, the father turbaned and wearing a kurta over trousers, the mother also in a sari.

"Waheguru ji ka Khalsa. Waheguru ji ki fateh," Sunny said in Punjabi, holding his hands together in the prayer position and bowing his head. He saved this greeting only for elders.

They returned his greeting, and then Tej and the kids repeated the greeting. Birinder introduced them formally, and then Naira asked, "And these are your children?"

"Yes," Tej said, and turned to the kids. "You're old enough to introduce yourselves, now."

Harpreet took the lead, and Ajit mumbled his name after her. Naira said, "Can I get you two something to drink? Water? Coke? Juice?"

The kids looked at Tej, who sighed and shook her head. "These two can speak for themselves. I know it doesn't look that way, but they can."

"Are you saying if we ask for Coke, you won't make a face?" Harpreet asked, and Birinder burst out laughing.

"It's a special occasion, so, no, I won't make a face," Tej said, rolling her eyes. She turned to Birinder. "I limit their intake at home, so I'm the worst mother ever."

"Come on into the living room," Naira said, placing her hands on the kids' backs. "I'll bring your drinks in there."

Ajit gazed up at Naira as they walked together, and Sunny guessed his son was looking at his first crush. He remembered being that young; being touched by a pretty older woman who wasn't a relative would have made him swoon too.

Birinder's father turned to Sunny and said, "Mr. Parhar, we've heard about your campaign at the gurdwara. We're very excited for you."

Sunny bowed slightly to him and said, "Thank you, Sandhuji. I'm excited to be running. Please, feel free to discuss anything you'd like about the election."

The older man chuckled and said, "Perhaps later, after dinner."

"Oh!" Tej said, looking down at the plate in her hands as if she'd forgotten about it. "I've brought sweets for dessert."

"My mother made them," Sunny said. "She and my father send their regards."

"Thank you." Birinder took the plate from Tej and looked in her eyes just a little too long as he said, "They were welcome to come too, I should have clarified my invitation."

Sunny pretended not to be offended as he said, "Oh, please, don't worry. They don't get out much. My dad has diabetes, and tires easily. They prefer to stay in in the evenings."

"Your father wouldn't happen to be Amandev Singh Parhar, would he?" asked Birinder's father.

"He would!" Sunny said. "Do you know him from the gurdwara?"