1

March 21,2020

International News

"As of for now,  Wuhan City, Hubei Province had been locked down because of the rapid spreading of the virus—

Local News

"Magkakaroon ng mahigpit na lockdown sa—

Wala sa sariling pinatay ni Victoria ang tv at malalim na napabuntong hininga.  Lately,  she had been feeling anxious on all the things that are currently happening.  Tila sunod-sunod ang pangyayari at nahihirapang tanggapin ang lahat. It was as if it was all planned by something, she could not think straight at all.  Victoria was devastated because of the sudden change of plans of their school and she just realized that she graduated from senior highschool!

She really couldn't believe it.

Tumayo siya mula sa upuan at dumiretso sa kusina.  Her throat was feeling dry all of a sudden.  The sound of glass was like a ticking bomb as she slowly pulled it from the tray,  glasses bumping into each other, making a clanking noise that warned her that if she not be careful of handling it,  it might break. She sighed as the feeling of contentment engulfed her. 

"Ma" she called. Victoria had been always like this.  Kahit wala siyang sasabihin sa ina ay lagi niya na lang itong hinahanap mas lalo kapag kakauwi lang nito galing sa school o sa labas. She chuckled when she thinks she was not the only one who always did this, naalala niya ang kaibigan na si Kathy.  Lagi nitong gawain iyon at halos mainis ang sariling ina sa kaniya. The way Kathy tells the story was funny, she even uses her hands to gesture and tried to imitate her mother when it was yelling at her for something it really irittates her.  Pero ang pinakamagandang narinig niya mula sa kaibigan ay ang salitang 'satisfaction'.

"It feels like whenever I call her and she doesn't answer,  suddenly I felt scared.  But when she answered,  her voice raising cause I always find her and not say anything so important— I felt satisfied just hearing her voice"

~^~

Buwan ang lumipas at ramdam ni Victoria ang paghihirap ng ina.  Her mother was a current worker in a factory but this factory that her mother was working got closed in a sudden notice.  Biglaan ang nangyari sa ina kaya hindi ito magkaundagaga sa paghanap ng trabaho para kay Victoria.  Her first semester of college is ending and they need money for her second semester.

Ang ipon ng ina ni Victoria ay unti-unting nabawasan dahil sa gagastusin sa araw-araw at dahil na din sa 'New Learning System'. It's either ang pipiliin mo ay online class or sa module na lang. 

Victoria stretches her body as she finished answering her assignments and reading her lessons for tomorrow.  She wanted to read in advance. Alam niya sa sarili na may katamadan sa pag-aaral at hindi siya gaanong katalino pero kaya niyang magsipag para sa ina.  She feel like doing it cause everytime she saw her mother going home late and still check up on her— giving her food just to give her some energy to finished her work, she was literally touched everytime her mother simply just did that.  Alam niyang hindi lahat ng ina ay ganito.  There are other mother's that are not that closed with their kids but still love them. 

"Tapusin mo na yan anak at matulog ka na"  Victoria's mother said.  Tumango naman bilang tugon ang anak at hinalikan ito sa pisngi ang ina bago ito umalis.  It is a sign of thanking her, napipipi siya lagi kapag may nangyayaring ganito kaya't gumagawa siya ng paraan para ipakita na sobra ang pasasalamat niya sa taong gumagawa ng kaunting bagay sa kaniya.

She knew to her heart that she was thankful.

Victoria woke up early and did not know why. She feel happy and light, as if she could conquer the world!  Natawa siya sa sarili at napag-isipang magluto ng agahan nilang mag-ina. 

And then she thought.  "Urgh. Nakalimutan kong tanungin si mama sa bago niyang trabaho!" she exclaimed disappointed to herself.  Gigil niyang hinalo ang soup na niluluto at mariing napabuntong-hininga. 

"Morning, Vic"

"M-morning Ma"  gulat na sambit ni Victoria.  She was too focused on cooking and did not noticed her mom coming in the kitchen. Natawa ito ng mahina dahil sa pagiging gulatin nito.

"Hinay hinay kasi sa kape anak."  sagot ng ina habang natatawa. Pabiro nitong inirapan ang ina at natawa na lang ang pareho.

"Ma"  pagbasag ni Victoria sa katahimikan habang kumakain sa hapag-kainan. 

She had the sudden urge to asked her mother about her new job. It was because she knew it was too tiring, hindi kagaya sa nakaraan nitong trabaho na alas singko ay nakauwi na ang ina,  pero,  ngayon ay halos madaling araw na itong umuuwi o kinabukasan.  Her mother always reminded her or texting her whenever she will get home late. 

At doon siya nagtataka.

"Yes anak?" her mother answered with a soft voice while slowly sipping the soup on her spoon. 

Napatitig na lang dito si Victoria.

"What is your new job?  Mukhang lagi ka na lang ginagabi at sorry ngayon ko lang natanong... "  she slowly said,  watching her mother's reaction and when it flinched,  her mother's right hand that was holding the spoon— trembled a bit.  Biglang nakaramdam siya ng kakaiba. 

"At dahil namimiss kita hehe." she suddenly said to ease the tension. Victoria watched her mother slowly breath and decided to looked at her daughter but instantly looked away. 

I think she was hiding something.

"A-anak"  pasimula ng ina at umayos ng upo habang hindi ito makatingin ng maayos.  "I am just an assistant in a certain hospital.  And they paid good!"  her mother's voice suddenly changed into a lively tone and it doesn't felt right.  Nung binanggit nito ang huling kataga ay doon lamang ito ngumiti ng matamis at kung hindi masyadong kilala ni Victoria ang ina ay maloloko siya nito.

But she knew her mother very well.  Noong nilayasan sila ng sariling ama ay tila nagkaroon ito ng bagong pagkatao. Her mother was the most emotional and dramatic person that she ever met,  but,  when her father left them. She did not cry nor look sad.  She just smile and moved on with her life as if nothing had just happened but Victoria knew better. 

It pains her that every night she hear her mother next door,  sniffling and crying. Gabi-gabi niya ito naririnig at tila isang hindi magandang musika itong tumutugtog sa tenga niya.  Victoria would simply cover her ears and tried to sleep but sleep would not even let her,  so,  she stayed on her bed staring at the ceiling.  She did not blink, and every seconds that passed by,  her mind and heart were praying for her mother her soul's reaching for her to comfort her. 

Her mask was always broken.

And definitely she was hiding something from me.

Victoria silently nodded to her mother.  Tinuloy nila ang naudlot na pagkain kanina at hanggang sa makaalis ang ina sa hapagkainan ay hindi pa din makatayo si Victoria dahil nag-aalala siya sa ina. 

A/N:

So this is for our first chap!  And I must say,  sobrang tagal kong pinagisipan ito.  Lol.  But ang pag-update ko ng story is scheduled every monday.  I hope,  you enjoy reading this and you might wanna share this story with your friend if you like it?  Thank you! Have a good day!