26

Audrey

Cold wind ruffled my hair, tangling it around my face. Clouds heavy with rain floated above, rumbling every once and awhile. The trees gently rustled in the breeze, breaking the silence of the world around I rubbed my arms, feeling the soft material of my jacket. I took a deep breath, letting the scent of the storm fill my senses.
I stood on the sidewalk outside Kaylee's home, frozen like a statue as I stared up at the sky.

I hadn't slept at all last night. I had tossed and turned, my mind racing. So much had happened the day before, and I couldn't seem to process it all. But without fail, every time... my train of thought went back to Sebastian.
I bit my lip, closing my eyes as I thought of him. He had been through the worst of it. On the drive home, he had been silent, only holding my hand. I had walked him up to the door, with him still not saying a word. He hadn't texted or called either.

My stomach couldn't help but twist with concern, but I shook the thoughts from my head. We needed to talk; all of us. Going silent with each other will get us nowhere.

" Audrey!" Kaylee called, bringing me out of my thoughts. I turned to see her waving at me from her front door, running down the driveway to meet me.
Her smile was less bright today, her eyes tired. Seems like I wasn't the only one having trouble sleeping last night.

I gave her a small, almost sympathetic smile. " Good morning, Kaylee. Ready to go to school?"

She gave me a nod, instead of her usual happy affirmation.
We began to walk, silence between us. There was a tension, and it was almost like we were both to scared to break it. I decided to take the first step.

" We need to do something."

Kaylee looked up at me, raising her eyebrows. " You heard Dakota, we shouldn't get ourselves in more trouble... We're just kids."

I knew she was right, but something about that statement felt off. Wrong almost.

" Dakota might be right, we are just kids, and that we should leave this to the adults... but her plan is to just sit by and wait. And we need to do something now, for Nora's sake."

Kaylee listened to me, her face blank. After a moment, she asked," So what do you plan to do?"

I took a deep breath, stuffing my hands into my jacket pockets. " I'm going to talk to Ella."

Kaylee stopped walking, turning to look at me with wide, surprised eyes," What?! After everything that happened yesterday?"

I nodded," Especially after everything that happened yesterday. Our group can't become divided; not with so much at stake."

Our conversation was cut short as we arrived at school. I had been preparing myself all night and morning to talk to Ella, and try to come up with a plan to save Nora and the other kids trapped in the lab.
But I hadn't expected to see her on the steps leading up to the main door, leaning against a wall. Her one hand was in her jacket pocket, while the other was scrolling through her phone. She looks bored and exhausted, her curly dark hair ruffled from the wind.

" Are you going to talk to her right now?" Kaylee asked.

I took a deep breath, reminding myself of what I'd told myself last night; she was hurting. Her anger, her fury, that was all from the pain of losing Nora. A valid and real pain that needed comfort and understanding.

" Yeah, I am."

Kaylee nodded. " I see. Well, good luck. I'm going to go find Chloe, so I'll see you later."
I gave her a small goodbye before watching her go up the stairs.