Chapter 26: Intrusion

Lei

Today was an exhausting day. 

Stef had invited me to make cookies, which turned out to be a mess. Instead of four pounds of flour, he put in 40 grams. So long story short, the oven exploded. Anta spent the whole day asking me which outfit she should wear for her and Lorenzo's third date. Apparently a dress was too much and pants were too casual. In the end, she still chose a freaking dress. Alfredo had been avoiding me and I tried to talk to him but no use. He would literally duck, run, jump, turn and hit a wall, just to avoid me.

I finally got off the bus, walking to the bakery with my tired legs. I couldn't wait to have a nice long sleep.

Pushing open the glass doors, I heaved a breath of relief after a day of exhaustion as I stepped in.

And then I gasped.

Plates were shattered on the counter, with several cups broken into shards of broken glass on the cluttered floor. The baked desserts were all over the display glass, cream mushed on the glass and pastry dough stuck everywhere on the counter. The chairs were toppled over, as if a hurricane had blown everything.

My living space upstairs was no better.

The bed was toppled over, my clothes all over the messy room. My books were open, scattered, littered, crumpled and tossed everywhere.

Someone had broken in.

---

"Are you alright?!" 

Al rushed over, grabbing my shoulders and looked at me intently.

"Um, I-yeah," I replied, shaken by his intent look, staring back at his worried eyes.

He frowned, scanning me and his tight grip still on my shoulders. My heartbeat was loud in my eardrums.

"Al, you're scaring her, she's fine," Alberto stepped inside, beside the shattered plates, careful not to step on the broken glass. 

Al finally loosened his grip on me, seeing that I was fine.

Alberto and Al examined the bakery and came down from my living space, treading carefully around the broken remnants of my plates, cups, and treats.

"Was there anything stolen?" Alberto asked, inspecting everything in the bakery, the kitchen, and the countertop.

"Some jewelry and the more expensive plates," I sighed, "nothing much."

There was nothing valuable at my home anyway, except for those things, and they weren't that valuable anyway. But still, I felt scared that someone had intruded the place.

"I'm ringing the station," Alberto nodded at me politely, heading out.

I stood in the middle of the mess, shards of glass beneath me. 

It wasn't the sharp jabs of glass on the floor that petrified me, it was the hands that broke the glass that did.

"The police will try and help to find who broke in, don't worry" Al reassured me, "in the meantime, I don't think it's safe for you to stay here."

"But," I felt an uneasy feeling in my chest, "where will I go then?" Lewis said he was out of town. 

"Stay with us," Al smiled, offering, "we have guest rooms on the third floor."

---

That's how I ended up moving into the Corleone manor. Temporarily.

My room was a large guest room with a king-sized bed, a bathroom, and a small sofa. 

Wowza.

I laid down on the soft mattress, huffing a sigh. I hoped the police would find out what happened, but for now? I was going to enjoy every second of living in a huge manor.

Smiling, I walked out my room in my pajamas.

The marble steps were cold, the icy stone touching my bare feet. The manor was dim at night, candles barely lighting the place.

"What are you doing here?"

A voice rung from behind me.

I turned around, facing Chiara. She was still in a formal suit-dress, since Al had people working late this week.

"Um," I answered, fumbling with my hands behind, "I'm staying here temporarily."

Her green eyes widened.

She turned, walking away with no reply.

Huh? Did I do something? 

---

The next morning

Alejandro

The January weather was fairly pleasant, and warmer than expected. I rubbed my temples, sitting in my office armchair, scanning the report files. The calm, quiet atmosphere was pleasant, and I flipped to other page of the-

A knock came from the door. A very loud knock.

"Come i-"

"Alejandro!" Chiara exclaimed, bursting in, "why is Lei staying here? At the manor?"

I frowned deeply, narrowing my eyes. The peaceful feeling vanished into thin air.

"Your manners Chiara," I warned coldly, "sit. Down."

She sat down quietly. 

 "You address me as Don, and do not ask questions before I have permitted you to do so. Now," I sighed, "what seems to be the problem?"

"Don Alejandro, why's Lei staying here?"

My frown deepened.

"It's a temporary thing that does not concern you."

Chiara asked quickly, "but what about her stolen things? The jewelry? And all the broken things? Doesn't she need to go to the police and take care of those thi-"

"Nobody knows about the stolen items, except for Alberto and I."

A tense silence filled the room. 

"Chiara," I raised my voice, "how do you know?"

She shrugged, avoiding my gaze.

I controlled my temper. 

"Chiara," I warned, gritting my words now.

She continued to avoid my eyes and looked at the window, biting her lip. 

"Lei shouldn't stay. Someone broke into her home, so Lei should-"

"Lei's staying," I gritted. 

Why was Chiara trying to get Lei to leave?

I clenched my fists, controlling the anger rising in me.

Chiara was still connected to Liugi after all. I couldn't do anything to her.

"You are dismissed."

Chiara left after a while.

I sat in my pool of thoughts, angered and frustratingly exasperated.

Was she being mean to Lei? 

This Chiara....

---

Let's just say I love Al being protective of Lei :)

Chiara and Liugi..hmm

Anyhoo, I love you all! Stay safe<3 The first week of highschool for me was amazing! Freshman year is so different but i love the school and i made new friends! I'm busy with schoolwork but i'll try my best to update!

-Sofia