Chapter Twenty-One

Eric's POV

------------------------------

I wake up to a text from Davina. In all caps, the text message reads, "ERIC. EMERGENCY."

I raise a brow and reply, "Did you try to cook again?" I wasn't sure if she was being serious or not.

"I WILL IF YOU DONT TAKE ME SERIOUSLY."

"Don't break the stove," I type back. "Or the oven, or the sink, or the fucking microwave."

"I'll break you, you piece of shit."

I roll my eyes which she can't see and finally ask what is wrong. And the reply I get back makes me freeze.

------------

I stand in the elevator until I reach the floor where all the females' rooms are. I've never been up here unless it was for a quick fuck. So obviously, I haven't been up here in quite a while.

I don't want to go to a random girl's room and ask for what Davina needs, so I go to one of the few rooms I remember I've been in before and knock three times on the door. A red-headed girl opens it, surprised at first but puts on a welcoming smile after noticing it was me. I used to think she was a gorgeous woman, one of the most gorgeous ones I've ever met. But Davina proved me wrong. Compared to her, this girl is only just above average.

"Hey, Elise," I say to her. She is also one of the girls I've been with whose name I actually remember.

"Hi, Eric," she greeted. I could sense a bit of flirtatiousness in her voice, but I let it slide.

Scratching the back of my neck, I say, "Um, I kinda need something." Well shit, I could've worded that differently.

"Anything for you," she grins seductively.

"That's not what I meant," I shake my head, causing her eyebrows to go in a twisted furrow.

"Well, what is it that you need, then?" Her arms cross, and she leans against the door frame.

"Do you have any...feminine toiletries?" I immediately regret this.

Elise looked at me with the most dumbfounded look. "What?"

"I am not saying it again," I say. "Do you have any?"

"Well, no shit. Do I not look like a female to you?"

"So, is that a yes?"

"Yes, Eric. Now why on earth are you asking me for feminine toiletries?" She uses air quotes on those last two words.

I don't know exactly what to say. I've never been in a situation like this before. And I don't think the words 'feminine' and 'toiletries' have ever come out of my mouth one after another.

"Personal reasons."

You sound stupid, Eric.

She raises a suspicious brow at me before turning around, leaving the door open with me standing in front of it. She returns two minutes later with a grey plastic bag that she held with two fingers.

"Here," she stuck her arm out to me. "For your personal reasons."

I looked in the bag before looking back at her. "Thank you," I say. She nods and closes the door.

------------

I use my key to get into the safehouse and slowly enter, being as quiet as possible, as if there is a sleeping dragon inside that I don't want to wake up. Which there was.

I set the keys down on the kitchen counter and head to the bedroom Davina is using. Words can't explain how cautious I am with opening her bedroom door. I'm acting like I would die if I made a single sound. That's what it feels like.