Chapter 87 - Comfort

As everyone leaves the courtroom, I call out to Henry in the corridor. "Henry wait!"

He turns around with a sigh before saying. "You have to give me some time now, I need to think about this, are you sure he wasn't drunk?"

How can he doubt that? I shake my head and say forcefully. "Of course he wasn't, it's a set-up, when I went to report Oliver's harassment at the police station I saw how his colleagues looked at him, they don't like him, probably because he's trying to be fair, it's a set-up, it's all a lie."

Henry was about to reply but we are both surprised when we see Thomas, Millie's lawyer come up to us and say to Henry in a calm voice, "From what I can see so far, it's not going as planned Henry, is it?"

He looks down and shakes his head before Thomas puts his hand on his shoulder and says in a reassuring tone. "Don't worry, there's always a way out and in this case it doesn't make a difference, look in the right place, I know you can do it, and the low blow you took today doesn't surprise me, his lawyer will do anything to make Oliver look innocent, even if it means lying, or making up evidence."

Henry looks up and nods towards Thomas before saying. "Thank you sir, I'll get back to the office right away."

And so Henry leaves as Thomas gives me a smile then leaves the court and I decide to do the same taking the stairs and outside I see Millie and Edda waiting for me, Millie walks up to me first and hugs me lightly, not too long so as not to arouse suspicion, she backs away a little and says. "It's going to be alright Elsie, you have to be confident, I was expecting resistance but we both know that Weston wasn't drinking at all, it's all a vile lie and there must be some way to prove it, right?"

I scratch my head and think, of course, there must be a way but what? I can't tell yet and now I just want to go home and rest. Edda joins us and she too says some comforting words to me, and she apologises for not having answered the questions we asked her well enough. "Forgive me Elsie if I didn't do well enough."

I shake my head and say to her in a calm voice, "Edda it's not that at all, you did very well, don't worry about it, okay? Henry will probably figure it out in a couple of days, I trust him, at least a little bit."

Suddenly Millie looks at both of us and then says in a cheerful tone. "Edda, can you ride?"

Edda shakes her head and sighs. "No, having a horse takes a lot of money, why are you asking me that?"

Millie nods and answers. "As the weather is rather nice today, I wanted to know if you wanted us to go for a ride in the forest."

As tempting as the idea is, I just want to go to sleep now, so many emotions have passed through me this morning that I feel drained. I stroke the back of my neck and say to Millie a little ashamed. "Actually, I was thinking of going home to rest Millie."

Millie nods but tells me. "But going for a walk-in nature is invigorating, are you sure you want to go home now?"

I look into her eyes and see a glint in them that I can't refuse, when she looks at me like that I think I could bring the moon to her feet and so I say with a little smile. "Alright a little walk, Edda do you want to come?"

Edda looks a little embarrassed and finally says. "No, you two go, I want to see how the renovation is going in my shop, okay? I'll come back later today to your place Elsie."

I nod and we part as I get into a carriage with Millie and after closing the little curtains inside decide to kiss me on the lips and I close my eyes savouring the moment, it's what I needed after this morning really. After a few seconds, I pull back and ask her in a playful tone. "Is this why you wanted me to come with you Millie?"

She smacks me on the arm and finally laughs. "Of course not, it's just that I wanted to take you to the forest to get some fresh air, it's the most relaxing thing, when I'm stressed about my role I go to the forest for an hour or two and feel my mind lighten afterwards, it might help you with the trial too."

She's probably right, lately I've been finding it hard to rest, my mind is clogged with everything that's going on, not to mention the speech Millie is supposed to give in the House of Lords soon, I don't even understand how she looks so relaxed. Well, if it's obvious, she's a countess and she must be used to being confronted with stressful situations.

After we arrived at her place, we decide to immediately go for a walk and I smile as the fresh air is really making my body light, far from the pollution of the cities, it's always a comforting thing to be able to just cool off in such magnificent places. We walk for a long tame and just take in and enjoy the scenery that the world has to offer, sadly the humankind tends to destroy and neglect it. When will we understand that it's because of this that we are all able to live and that we should preserve it at all cost ? We're cutting down so many trees, hunting so many animals for our own pleasure without thinking of the consequences.

Millie seems to feel that I'm deep in thought and she takes my hand in hers and tell me in a soft voice. "What are you thinking my love ?"

I squeeze her hand a little and shake my head with a smile before I reply. "Just about humans in general, don't you think we are becoming too much obsessed with money Millie ?"

She sighs and nods before telling me. "Honestly, yes I think so, money corrupts our souls, we only think about it and people lose their humanity because of it, that's why I'm trying to give to those in need as much as I can and hope for a better world soon."

And this is the best thing we can do to make the society a better one, show empathy and help those in need, if only people were all thinking this way...