Chapter 64 - Alone time

The way they look at each other, the twinkle in their eyes, it can only be the girl from the orphanage that Edda told me about, her teenage love. After so many years, they finally meet again, and I see that Evelyn doesn't quite understand what's going on, after a few seconds, Evelyn calls out to Aria and says. "Do you two know each other?"

Aria smiles at Evelyn and nods before saying. "Yes, she's an old friend and we haven't seen each other in years."

I know all the story behind those two, they were much more than friends or acquittances but for obvious reasons, she won't say anything else.

She continues and stares at me. "But who is this woman? Are they friends of yours, Evelyn?"

Evelyn clears her throat and answers. "They are acquaintances and they have come to see my daughter, she is well I hope?"

Aria nods and smiles at Evelyn before telling her in a soothing tone. "Of course, she's sleeping on my bed, she's fine. Come inside, I can get you some tea if you like."

Evelyn goes in first and Edda and I follow close behind but I stop her for a moment before we get into the living room and whisper to her. "Edda, is that who I think it is?"

She bites her lips and nods in response. I knew it, oh my God, the likelihood of them seeing each other again is remote, and I can already imagine the questions Edda must be asking in her head. What has become of Aria in all these years? Does she live here alone?

We walk into the living room and sit on wooden chairs around the table, the flat is not very big but it is well decorated, quite nice and cosy.

Aria is in the kitchen making tea and Evelyn say to Edda and me. "Would you like to see my daughter until it's ready?"

We both nod and she takes us into the only room in the house, a small single bed with a girl who must be three years old sleeping soundly.

Evelyn puts a finger over her mouth urging us to be quiet and whispers. "Her name is Evie, isn't she beautiful?" Her daughter is indeed adorable and we watch her for a few minutes in silence as she makes little noises in her sleep.

We walk quietly out of the room and into the living room as Edda puts our cups of tea on the table and asks us. "Is she still sleeping?"

Evelyn replies with a smile. "She sleeps like an angel."

The four of us sit down and start drinking our tea, I watch Edda and Aria look at each other and I think that if Evelyn and I weren't in the same room, they would probably be talking a lot to reconnect. Evelyn puts down her cup of tea and says. "I get the impression that you'd like to get to know each other again, and I totally understand, I think I'll take Evie home and leave the three of you together."

I honestly feel like I'm too much here myself and I say as I stand up. "I'll stay outside too, I'll wait for you in a coach Edda, okay?"

She nods with a small smile and answers me. "Yes Elsie, I won't be long, I promise."

I walk out of the flat and say goodbye to Evelyn as I walk down the stairs and motion for a carriage with a wave of my hand. After a few moments, one pulls up to the side of the road and I say to the coachman. "Good morning sir, before you leave for my place, could you wait for a friend?"

The coachman looks at his watch and answers me. "Of course my lady, please come inside, it's cold."

I sit on one of the velvet seats and open the curtain of the small window so that Edda can see me inside. I wait patiently, the minutes pass and she is still not there. I close my eyes for a few moments and hear the carriage door finally opening and Edda sits down in front of me with a big smile and says.

"I still can't believe it, it's amazing, I saw her again after so long, I'm sorry to have kept you waiting so long but I really wanted to talk to her and the good news is that she wants to meet again tomorrow night at her place!"

I laugh softly and tell her. "I'm really happy for you Edda, you see, I did well to convince you to come with me and Evelyn."

She nods energetically and replies in a cheerful tone. "It was one of the best decisions of my life and it's amazing, she told me about what happened after the orphanage, she was in a foster home and her parents are amazing, she had a happy childhood and they still help her financially today. She has a job as a typist in an accountancy firm and is thriving. But even better than that, she is single and I would love to win her heart back, the flame was out but it was reignited as soon as I saw her again."

I am so happy to see her like this, she has found her teenage love and I sincerely hope they can be together again, I want to see Edda happy and I know she deserves to find love. I give her a big smile and say. "I'm so happy for you Edda, this day is ending even better than I hoped."

She smiles and relaxes before telling me in a small voice. "That's amazing, I don't even have words, I'm so looking forward to tomorrow, we'll be able to talk more and I hope I'll have a great night with her."

I nod and tell her in an encouraging tone. "I'm sure you will, Edda, but will you come home with me in the evening?"

She thinks for a moment and says to me. "Yes, of course, she doesn't have a spare room and even if the evening goes perfectly well, I don't want to rush anything with her."

She's quite right, they have time to enjoy each other. What worries me a bit is that Evelyn is the neighbour, and Edda would have to be careful, if she's going to visit Aria regularly, she might get the wrong idea. And that's the last thing I want for her.

I take a breath and tell her in a serious tone. "You need to be careful with the neighbour, Evelyn."

Edda sighs and nods. "I know Elsie, I'll be careful, don't worry."

I smile at her and realise that today was definitely surprising in a good way, I really hope that Edda and Aria will match again and that there will be no bumps on the road to their love.