Seventy-two

I sat in the waiting room of a Muggle hospital while they were helping Malcolm in one of the rooms.

I kept rethinking tonight. It had been a long day. It started off nice until I had to pick up the kids from school when Angelina showed up.

And now...

My ex-husband tried to kill himself and decided to get revenge while he was at it. He wanted me to watch him die.

I also couldn't forget the feeling I had when I had to hide with the phone while Malcolm was yelling.

It took me back to our marriage. To whenever he got drunk and took it out on me.

Sure, this was completely different but at the same time, so familiar.

"Dahlia!"

I looked up and stopped biting my nails like I had done due to the stress, feeling a wave of relief wash over me when I saw Inez walk down the hallway, the sound of her heels echoing.

"What the fuck happened?" She asked. "Why is Malcolm in the hospital?"

She reached me and lowered her voices

"A muggle hospital at that."

I stood up and wrapped my arms around her, simply needing a hug. Inez immediately hugged me back, squeezing the life out of me.

"He wanted me to watch him die." I whispered. "He took all of these pills and he got angry when I tried to call so I hid in the bathroom upstairs."

I pulled away from the hug and wiped my cheeks.

"When they got there, he was unconscious on the floor of the bedroom."

"Oh babe." Inez sighed, pulling me with her to sit down in the chairs. "I'm going to kill that son of a bitch."

I sighed.

"How could he do that to the girls? Sure, he's a horrible person but he's their father. They love him."

Inez nodded.

"Listen, I'm in no way defending him because I hate that man more than anyone, but depression can make you blind to everyone else. Especially if he feels like life isn't worth living. If he feels like they're better off without them, which they probably are, he could've felt like it was easier if he was just gone but him wanting you to watch it happen... yeah that's just his psycho brain."

My phone vibrated in my pocket and when I pulled it out to look at it, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. It was George.

'Are you alright? It's been an hour.'

I sighed.

"I've completely forgotten to text George." I breathed. "We were about to cook dinner when Malcolm called me."

"We He called you? That's why you went to his house?"

I nodded.

"Before he hung up, he apologised and told me he couldn't keep doing this. I went to his house and I thought he had faked it all because he started laughing in my face, saying I was too easy, but then he let it slip that there wasn't long until his heart would stop beating and I saw all the empty bottles of pills in the medicine cabinet..."

I took a deep breath as I texted George back.

'I'm at the hospital. Malcolm tried to commit.'

"I hate him so much." I said and turned my head to look at Inez. "Malcolm. Not George. But at the same time, I don't, and I hate that."

"I know." Inez sighed and grabbed my hand. "You were in love with him since you were a teenager and even though he's hurt you, you're still always going to want to be there to help him. It sucks but it's the truth."

My phone vibrated again and I looked down at the new message from George.

'What hospital? St. Mungo's?'

I decided to call him up. It would be easier than continuing to text him.

"Dahlia." George let out a heavy breath the second he picked up the phone. "Where are you? St. Mungos?"

"It's not St. Mungos." I told him. "You don't have to come here. It's fine. Malcolm is going to be okay. I'll be back later to pick up the girls... please don't tell them what their dad did."

"I won't. Are you alone at the hospital?"

"No. Inez is here."

"Good. As long as you're not alone there. Are you sure you don't want me to come be there with you? I can call Lee and—"

"I promise you, it's fine." I cut him off, running a hand into my hair. "Oh shit... I have your wand."

"And I have yours. It's no big deal, love."

"No but... my wand doesn't exactly like other people using it." I said. "Inez once tried and it completely backfired. It burned her hair."

"Oh shit. Well, I'll keep that in mind." He said. "Are you completely sure you're going to be okay?"

I hummed in response.

"I'm gonna go, George. I love you."

"I love you too. Keep me updated, yeah?"

"Yeah." I agreed and looked at my phone as I ended the call.

I took in a deep breath, letting it out again.

"I'm really happy you have him." Inez said. "I was so scared that you'd constantly get yourself in relationships where they'd abuse you, but George treats you the way you deserve to be treated."

I looked at her.

"A one night stand that turned into a relationship." She chuckled. "I don't see that everyday."

I smiled.

"It was really awkward waking up that morning. I was completely covered in hickeys and it then I let it slip that I had a husband." I chuckled at the memory. "I remember the expression on his face. He was shocked and I had to clarify that I was separated, trying to get a divorce. I didn't want him to think I was a cheater."

"And now you've been together for how long?"

"Four and a half months." I said. "It's been a rollercoaster of emotions — having to deal with people on the outside of our relationships. Malcolm, my family, George's family as well. I'm happy that you and Dove are accepting of him, just like I'm happy I get along with his friends"

Inez smiled at me before the door to Malcolm's room opened and a muggle healer walked out. I'm pretty sure they're called nurses.

"Are you Malcolm Baddock's wife?" She asked as she approached.

I stood up but I shook my head.

"Ex-wife."

"Ahh, alright, sorry." She smiled. "Well, he had taken a huge amount of pills but we've emptied his stomach and he's going to be okay. He's asleep right now but you can see him when he's awake."

"He's going to be okay." I repeated. "Thank god."

"It's a good thing you called." She said. "It's what saved his life, but yes, he'll be fine, though right now it's too early to tell of there's any damage to his kidneys or his liver."