Fifty-six

"What am I doing here?"

He looked at me, waiting for an answer and I let out a scoff of disbelief, taking a step back.

"Twenty-two years." I spoke. "That's a long time without seeing your sister, and the first thing you say is; what are you doing here?"

"Dahlia—" he made a face as he spoke my name. "...shit. You're an adult."

"No shit."

"How've you been?"

Seriously?

"How have I been?" I asked and raised my eyebrows, feeling a lot of build-up anger come out. "How have you been? You got out... you got to live a wonderful life in another country. How was that?"

He inhaled sharply, looking back at the house before looking at me again.

"Can we go somewhere else?"

I frowned, then looked towards the house and then back to Henry.

"They don't know I exist, do they?" I asked. "They don't know about any of your family..."

"They are my family." He said. "Whatever family I had home in England, hasn't been family for over twenty years."

I pressed my lips together.

"That stung."

I turned around and walked back down the path.

"Fuck... what do you want me to say, Dahlia?!" He yelled. "I was leaving a dangerous situation! I needed to get away from Abram and Melissa!"

I stopped walking, turning back around.

"And you did. Congratulations."

"What would you have wanted me to do?" He asked as he took a few steps towards me. "Taken you with me? Taken you and Nadine with me? Did you want me to be an eighteen-year-old boy taking care of an eleven-year-old and a four-year-old? I considered it but I was a kid!"

I sighed and ran a hand into my hair.

"I get why you left. I've never blamed you." I said. "I'm not trying to say that you should've stayed or that you should've brought up along."

"Then what are you trying to say?"

"I don't know." I groaned. "I don't even know why I'm here. My ex-husband found your address after another guy showed up at my office and lied about being you, and then my boyfriend convinced me to actually come here and meet you."

He frowned as he looked at me, then ran his hand over his mouth again.

"Who lied about being me?"

I shrugged.

"A friend of dad, I guess. I visited him in Azkaban and hours later, this guy showed up. He had altered his face to look like he could be dads son and seeing as I don't remember what you looked like, it was easy enough for me to fall for it."

At the mention of our dad, his expression completely changed.

"You need to leave." He said. "I left for a reason and I am not risking him coming back into my life because I decided to listen to my little sister."

"Excuse me?" I laughed.

"I'm sorry, Dahlia... I'm sorry that you were stuck with him for all of those years. I thought you'd be stronger and fight him, but..."

He sighed and shook his head.

"What are you talking about?" I asked. "I'm not— I never joined them! I've seen dad once in fourteen years! I only visited him because I was angry at something I learned!"