1.16 ▫︎ APRIL, 1934 ↦ VIVIAN

Vivian had been glued to her vanity chair for the past hour, making sure she looked present able enough for her date tha was to be arriving at noon. Her sistehad done th nicest thing shehad ever done fo her in years. Catherine ha described him as tall and handsome adn strong. She had met him when she visited Bucky in a boxing gym.

Vivian was excited to say the least. She took one last look in the mirror and smiled, her pink lip shining and he caramel hair bouncing ashe gave her ahead a little shake.

"Come on, Lady," Vivin coaxed as sh stood up and left her room. Down stairs her mother and Catherine were working in the kitchen, preparing lunch for the family and their two presumed guests. Her father sat a teh breakfast table sippinga cup of coffe and reading th paper. Vivian quickly fixed he dog breakfast and jumped into the effort.

"Well, good morning, sleepy-head," greeted her mother.

"I thought you had maybe died," Catherine scoffed.

"You look beautiful dear," Mother exclaimed as and put a cheese cake into the refrigerator.

"You look like you tried too hard," insulted her sister.

"My darlings, you both look beautiful. I can already tellyou that these two young men do not deserve you as dates," their father said warmly, putting the paper down and lokn htem both in th eyes. Vivian smiled warmly at her father.

"Thank you," she said. But Catherine just ignored him.

"The boys will be here for lunch?" father asked

"Yes dear. And i have just finished preparing. It is ready to serve. They should be here any minute."

As if on cue, there was a strong knock on the front door. Mrs. Carlisle smiled. "I'll get it," she said as she hurried to the foyer. The girls followed her. Vivian attempted to stand next to Catherine, but seh took a step in front of er and strategicllllyc ut er off with ehr foo . Vivian did not tryt o hide it. Sh watched as her mothe opened ht door, but Catherine blocked the view of th boys.

"Good afternoon, boys. Are you James and William?" Mrs. Carlisle asked.

Vivian heard one say. "You can just call me Bucky."
"And I am Bill," The other corrected.

"Yes sirs," Mrs. Calsise said politely. "Please, come in."

"Thank you, maam," one said. As they stepped in, vivina tred to moved ot get a look at htem, but Cathierin moved in front of he again. "For you, I brought a pie," one said.

"Oh,my dear," Mrs. Carlisle said excitedly. "Is this lemon meringe?"

"Yes maam," he answered. "You have a mighty fine nose on that pretty face of yours. Homemade chocolates for the lady," he said as he stepped to Catherine. When catherin moved to greet him, he view fo theboys was nolonger obstructed. Beforeshe could look at Bucky, catherine's date, who turned out to be the one talking, Bill stepped to her and offered her a bouquet of assorted flowers.

Vivian smiled at BIll. "Thank you, Bill. It is so nice to meet you," Vivian said, taking the flowers into her hands. She brought them up to her face and smelled them. "These are lovely."

He smiled, revealing a set of beautiful straight, white teeth. "Not nearly as lovely as you. I am happyto be taking you to your dance."

"You arent so bad yourself," Vivian complemented. "I am Vivian."

"Lovely name," Bill completmplented.

"If you al would fnd yourself at home in the sitting room while i serve lunch, that woudlbe great," Mrs. Carlisle suggested as shewent ot thekitchen.