From a different point of view

Dream had been surprised when Balance had easily followed him. Wasn't the other at least a little suspicious? After all, they'd only known each other for ten minutes. And yet the other goldfish mer followed him down into the depths without hesitation. It amazed Dream. Balance had obviously suffered from abuse, he couldn't deny that. But that was precisely why Dream had expected to meet more resistance. What made Balance trust him so openly? Dream may secretly plan to kill Balance in the Depths. Wasn't the other mer considering that at all?

Nonetheless, the way to his brother's ditch was short, albeit quickly getting darker. And although Dream warned him of the dark, Balance didn't seem to have any problem swimming further away from him. It was almost as if he could see here in the dark. What was strange, after all, goldfish actually didn't have that ability. But maybe Dream was interpreting too much into the behavior of Balance.

The closer they got to his brother, the more Dream feared that Balance would freak out at the sight of Nightmare. But even when the glow of Nightmare's magic came into view, Balance showed no sign of discomfort. It confused Dream. Didn't this mer have any survival instincts??? Judging by the astonished and mesmerized sight of Balance when he discovered Nightmare, it was very much against it. Balance was confusing even for Dream, who had grappled with Ink for years.

"Who is that, Dream?" Asked Nightmare and Dream turned his attention back to his brother. Right. His brother should know about this strange mer.

“That's Balance, brother. I found him in my usual place to sunbathe. Before that, some other Mers had warned me that he was a bad omen. But in our conversation and on the way here he had shown no signs of planning anything bad, or even of trying to do something. Instead he looked around curiously like a young guppy. It almost looked like he'd never seen any of this before, Night. It should be impossible. I don't know his exact age, but he seems to be an adult. At least he should have known about algae. But even that he had curiously observed on the way here. And then there is his lack of survival instincts. He didn't show a single sign of discomfort on the way here. Most Mers start to have fear crawling over their bodies as soon as they even begin to approach the ditch. But Balance was completely calm, maybe a little curious about the surroundings. And don't even get started about his lack of suspicion. He's been abused, Night. Anyone can see it. But still he followed me without hesitation, even though I could have killed him down here.” Dream could have said so much more. Balance was one single mystery that gave Dream a headache. But before he could tell his brother any more of his thoughts, he heard that one statement of Balance that completely threw him off course.

"Hey, you have one too!" At this statement, Dream had turned to Balance and saw how the goldfish was close to Horror without any signs of fear, who was just looking at the smaller Mer in confusion. He seemed confused by Balance's statement, as Dream was too. But Dream really didn't like the answer. He was referring to the hole in his skull in such a loose and joyful tone that Dream had the feeling to throw up. What did Balance have to experience in order to deal with his abuse so easily in such a daily tone? He made it sound like holes in the skull weren't a sign of trauma, but a new trend! It made Dream sick. Whoever had abused Balance to this extent should better not approach him any more. Because Dream would have no problem cooking this person alive. Only those feelings soared as Balance revealed how others liked it when he harmed himself. Although the statement with the voices was strange. Was Balance isolated somewhere where he couldn't see anyone but could hear? Something like that wouldn't really be possible here in the sea. But for Legger this would be easy...

The confused look on Balance's face made Dream almost cry. The goldfish was so confused by this that none of them turned their anger on him like it was normal not to do so. Fortunately, Killer and Cross led Balance away quickly enough that he didn't have to see the tears. He really didn't want to cry in front of him. And after Dust was also sent away to get some clams for Balance while Horror was hunting something better, Dream turned back to Nightmare.

“Please brother, we have to help him. We cannot send Balance back to the others. Not when everyone seems to hate him.” Dream looked pleadingly at his brother. He knew the request was selfish, but he just had found Balance. He didn't want to lose this unique friend. Time would wear him out fast enough anyway. At least he wanted to spend a few years with him.

“We can keep him for now. But if he doesn't want to stay, he won't be forced, okay Dream?” Dream nodded resolutely. Nightmare's terms were just fair.

And when he went to the other three with Dust, it was a funny sight. He had seldom seen Killer and Cross so knotted. While the fact that Balance had tried to eat the nest was a little worrying, it confirmed Dream's theory even more. And as Balance ate the clam complete with shell? Further evidence for Dream that Balance had grown up, if not born, in captivity with the Leggers. But it was nice to see how satisfied Balance looked in his brother's tentacles after receiving a bath from Nightmare.

Dream would make sure that Balance finds a new home here with them.