Not a Bit of Conceit

Começar do início

'Do it, Mabel.' He urged.

And she did. 

She threw away the knife, looking down and withdrawing. 'You are - I still haven't forgiven you.' She warned, 'Especially not for the "Precious" part.'

He looked at Alexandra for a second - and she glared back. 

Then somehow, everything felt silly. He was the very same person - no traitor, no betrayal, no backstabbing of Liam, no madness - it was all over! The relief she had pushed aside earlier, resurfaced. This time with such vigor that it forced her lip upwards. The next second - with an unsaid agreement - they both burst out laughing.

It was the best feeling in the world. Laughing with a friend - without worry and stress - they laughed till their stomachs ached. Collapsing on the floor, and the funniest part being that they just didn't know why they had started laughing. But once they had, one reason or the other cropped up. "You looked exactly like a ghost!" "I'm very sure you would have fallen into a dustbin, running around in the dark." "The way I fell!" 

All grudge evaporated with those unhurried peals of laughter. And that was paradoxical nature of Alexandra's life. Everything that happened was next to unbelievable.

'I did what I had to.' Kane finally said, when they had each got a hold over themselves. 'I know - it was pathetic. And maybe you were too angry to notice that my voice trembled. In any case,' he said, shaking his head, 'sit down, once again.'  

The night had been bad enough - they didn't have to pull this further. Alexandra sank down into the chair once again. 'I hope no more smacks?' She asked.

'Don't joke about that.' He warned, 'Not ever, please. It is just that we can't leave such wounds open for too long.' He added, pointed to her neck. Alexandra had almost forgotten about the gash. It was quill thin, the slightest slit. But he was right, leaving them open for long was never advisable. 

'Go ahead,' she nodded, 'and look, nobody's hearing of what happened here. I think I'll die of shame - the way I was ... let's just say - scared.'

Kane shook his head, 'You were the best I've seen. And will see, I am sure. After what you have done today,' he nodded, 'I think you are the one person I can put my blind trust into. And by blind, I mean entirely so.'

'I am honored.' She replied, feigning a curtsy. Not realizing the enormity of a person's trust - and upon that blind trust. For then, she sat still as a mouse as Kane bandaged her neck. She surmised the wound was bad, because it took a lot of time to dress it.

'And this, is even worse.' He declared, looking at her head.

'Don't touch it. Please don't touch it!' She cried, knowing it would ache much more than anything else could. These sort of wounds were worse than the one which produced blood. And she hated them for the dull, lingering pain they gave.

'I have to... who told you to trip over the curtain?' Kane demanded, 'When I heard that, I was scared you had tripped over the trapdoor. There is one here - an escape route. Thankfully - at least for me - you fell into the pit you had dug yourself. Not to gloat over it, now, because I can see that dagger glinting in your hand ...' He added, with a slight tilt of head. 'So, maybe something to distract you.' He ventured, as Alexandra smiled politely in a "no offence taken" manner. 'This will be good.' And he offered the last remaining lily-scented breath mint. 'These ARE good, where did you get them from?'

'Don't tell Master George, but these are his special ones. He keeps them guarded. Watson nicked half a dozen, and I caught him doing it. So it's commission.' She shrugged as cracked up simultaneously. But her chuckle turned into a wince as Kane pressed a finger against her swollen forehead.