Chapter Fifteen

The shovel hit something hard as Morris plunged it into the earth. His heart skipped a beat, feeling accomplished after so much digging.

As bad as the security was at his job, it worked in Morris' favour as he carried out his plan that night.

Sweat was trickling down his face, dirt covered him like a second skin as he quickened his digging, excitement propelling him.

He saw the casket make an appearance then he stood on it to remove the sand on the other end.

Nobody knew he was there, and dependant on what he found, it would either remain his little secret or not. He was ready to blast anybody and everybody involved in his daughter's burial if her body wasn't there.

After a while, the top of the wooden box was in view. He stopped and flinged the shovel above him.

Nerves crawled up.

That was the moment he confirmed his suspicions or insanity, if he wasted time or his heart and instincts were on the right track.

He raised his arm to wipe the moist off his forehead then he huffed before lifting his dark navy overall trousers by the waist to bend down.

He ran his fingers along the edge, looking for the side that allowed an opening. He found it.

Morris didn't consider the fact that him standing on the coffin would serve as a challenge to open it. He didn't care at that point, as long as he was able to peak in.

He pried it open, the weight taking him by surprise.

He moved to one side, and used all his might to lift the lid.

The top half cracked opening, and as he looked down. Relief washed over as he kneeled on the bottom half.

Slowly lifting the lid, his eyes fixed on the inside.

After placing the lid to one side, he patted his pockets for the small torch he had placed there earlier.

His pupils grew larger, focused on the opening.

The torch almost fell, as Morris fumbled with the switch.

A sharp coldness ran down his spine as he finally lit it then shone it on the coffin.

He almost puked, looking at what was before him.

His chest tightened whilst drumming escalated.

Morris' eyes stung, as tears sat on the brim, threatening to drop.

He wasn't certain as to how to feel, or how he felt but it was a lot.

With no movement, he stared at the open casket as his mind tried to understand what was before him.

...

"We have a big job on Sunday," Larry announced, walking into the large house and heading for the kitchen.

He found Bruno, Candice and Des, "Where's the other one?" He opened the fridge to remove a beer.

"On vacay," Des said, filing her nails on the counter.

"After one job?" Larry raised one eyebrow, lowering the can he had just taken a sip from.

"Yeah, it's a family thing she couldn't get out of," Candice explained.

Larry tsked, "Will she back by Sunday?"

The girls shrugged their shoulders.

"Yes," Bruno responded and everybody snapped their heads towards him, "We talk," he added nonchalantly.

Candice cooed, "Ooh, what about?"

Bruno smirked, "Wouldn't you like to know," he teased.

"Mixing business with pleasure is never a good idea," Larry warned.

"We're grown, we know what we're doing," Bruno said to Larry.

"Oh, so you confirm you're doing something?" Des asked, leaning closer to Bruno who was to her right.

He crossed his arms over his chest and leaned back into the high stool he occupied, "I ain't confirming shit."

Larry shook his head, "I don't want to rid our best computer guy-"

"You won't. What's the job?"

...

"How long is the trip?" His wife questioned as she packed her luggage.

"A week, top," he responded from the bed, indulging in roasted nuts.

"A week under the same roof with your mother?" She shrieked.

"It's a wedding, my sister's. She wants us there," he said flatly.

"I'd love to attend Umbrosia's wedding but not stay in your mama's house, no," she stressed as she walked towards their closet.

He took no note of how worked up his wife was. He focused on the television screen before him, watching basketball.

She walked back into the room, "Let's book a hotel, if there's any in the ghetto," she suggested.

He didn't respond.

"In fact I'll do that, when do we leave exactly?" She grabbed her MacBook Air and flopped down next to him on the bed.

"Friday," he simply answered.

"That's in two days, meaning we'll return next week Friday," she tapped on the keypad.

He gave a short hum.

"Wednesday it is then," she muttered.

He didn't hear her, concentrated on the game.

She smirked and typed away.

"Done!" She chirped, "Our flights leave in the afternoon," she proceeded standing up.

"Okay."

She carried on with packing, walking back and forth between the closet and room.

She walked back into the room, carrying three boxes of shoes with slight worry on her face, "What do we do with her?"

No response, she had been talking to herself all along.

She walked to stand in front of the television set.

"Come on!" He bellowed, finally saying something to her.

"I asked a question," she snapped with attitude.

"Ask it over there," he pointed to the side trying to watch the game.

"I said, what do we do with her?"

"Who?" He was irritated.

"Your little revenge project," she put the boxes on a sofa near the bed.

"Nothing," he said, getting comfortable again as the screen came into full view.

"We leave her on her own for a week?!"

"Did you want her to come with us?" He asked.

She rolled her eyes, "I swear I'll break this screen," she threatened.

He sighed deeply, "What do you want from me?" He looked at her, "We're leaving her, with food and water. She'll survive."

"Doubt it," she argued.

"And that's what I'm betting on," he said then returned his focus to the screen, "Give me more nuts," he waved the empty glass bowl towards her.

...

A/N: Y'all figured out who these people are?