35. To Move On

TO MOVE ON

"This is not goodbye," Bruce says, "I just need some time to figure things out."

"We understand Bruce," Steve says, "And we wish you the best". He adds offering his hand, which the doctor shakes with a small smile, his eyes shifting to the girl.

"Thank you Cap," He says. "I'll be back. Vanessa?"

"I'm going to miss you," She says, Bruce's eyes softening as he pulls the girl into a soft hug.

"I'll be here for whatever you need," He says, the girl nodding in response. "Even while I'm away, I'm still here if you need help."

"Thank you Bruce. Please be careful."

"I will."

With one last smile, everyone watches as Dr. Banner gets in the car, his figure soon growing small in the distance.

Things at the compound hadn't been the same ever since the snap. The world took a hard hit, but so did the heroes that bravely fought the mad Titan. This particular loss showed them that there is much room for improvement, and for now that's what some members of the team are doing, working on themselves.

Some preferred to take a break from the compound, the place a reminder of what was lost, not to mention the present tension between Tony and Vanessa after their last talk created a tense atmosphere around them.

While everyone watches the doctor leave, Vanessa purses her lips, quietly sneaking away to catch her breath, her heart pounding in her chest.

As she heads inside, her heart drops when she walks by their rooms, passing by Wanda, Pietro, and Vision's room until she finally makes her way to the room she had been avoiding the most.

His room.

Her eyes linger on a photograph of the trio stuck on his wall from the first time they met Shuri, next to it, the picture from their first mission, which now feels like it was forever ago and a few other pictures from their graduation are placed by them as well, the memories bringing tears to her eyes.

Wiping them away, she lets out a shaky breath, looking up to the ceiling in an attempt to compose herself. Perhaps this was a bad idea.

As she drops her gaze, something in his room catches her attention, and with careful steps, she gets closer to it.

It's a sketch on his desk. Without moving his things out of place, she carefully takes it in her hands, the drawing bringing a small smile to her face, her hand coming up to cover her mouth as she stifles a cry.

It's a sketch for her costume design.

He is a really good artist. She thinks to herself, lightly pressing her forehead against the sketch, holding it against her chest as she lets out a long, heavy breath.

"I'm sorry," She whispers, the moment interrupted by a knock on the door.

Quickly putting the sketch back in its place, Vanessa puts on a better face as someone pokes their head through the door.

"Hey," Natasha says with a soft voice, "you doing okay?"

"Yeah," she answers, letting out a sigh as she sits on his bed, Natasha doing the same. "I just, I really miss them."

"I know," Natasha says offering a small smile, "I miss them too."

"Sorry," she says after a while, "I didn't mean to bring the mood down."

"Don't be," Natasha reassures with a soft smile, pulling the girl into a hug. "I know it's hard but we'll get through it."

"You're starting to sound like Steve," she teases as they break apart, the comment successfully brightening the atmosphere a little.