4: An unexpected visit

AN UNEXPECTED VISIT

In my sleep, I shiver under the blankets, shutting my eyes tight as I reach for the comfortable material around me to keep me warm. Wait, blankets? I think to myself slowly sitting up, eyes squinted as I try to make out my surroundings.

I can't make out much but I recognize my room. But how did I get here? The last thing I remember is falling asleep on the couch while watching a movie.

Movement out of the corner of my eye catches my attention, a pair of green eyes staring at me from a few feet away. 

"Loki?" I question, rubbing my eyes and blinking a few times to make sure I'm seeing right.

"It's just me." He says, lifting his arms in the air as he walks over to my bed.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"I came to bother my favorite mortal." He says, letting out a sigh as he sits down next to me.

"Um...thanks?" I say, his gaze fixed on the floor as silence engulfs us. "Is everything okay?" I ask but receive no response, not that I was expecting one anyways, but as I look at him, I notice something strange.

"Wait, are you actually here?" I ask, noticing that there is no mark on the bed where he's sitting.

"Not this time." He says. "I just stopped by for a quick visit."

"But I'm not really sure how to do this." He adds fidgeting with one of his rings.

"That makes two of us." I say with a small smile, speaking up after some time. "Hey Loki?" I hesitantly call out, looking at him as I wait for his response.

"Yes?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"It depends."

"It's about the portals."

"Alright." He says. "I'm listening."

"The other day, I tried opening a portal but I couldn't, was that...temporary?"

"Yes." He answers without hesitation. "You still possess the ability to open portals, but you have to remember that it requires a lot of concentration and energy. From what I've seen, you barely have any energy to keep up with your daily activities."

"It makes sense." I say with a sigh.

"Look, I don't mean to pry, but is everything alright with you?"

"Yeah. Everything's good." I say giving him a smile. "I just haven't been able to sleep much lately. Which is probably why I'm so tired."

"Why haven't you been able to sleep well?"

"No reason." I say with a tight smile.

"You can stop your facade now." Loki says, green eyes piercing into my soul as he looks at me. "You may be able to fool the others, but not me. I can see through that mask you're putting on. Did you really think I wouldn't notice something is off?" He asks raising a brow.