14. Hurt feelings

HURT FEELINGS

The next day, everyone hardly talks as they have breakfast, yesterday's argument still vividly painted in our minds, the tension quietly floating around the room, waiting for one wrong move before all breaks loose.

Clint tried lightening the mood with a joke but to no avail. Instead, everyone seemed to tense up more, so Clint decided to give it a rest after receiving a nudge on the ribs from Natasha.

After finishing our food, Peter and I exchange a brief glance before getting up and putting our plates away, quietly making our way to my room.

As we near the entrance, I stop, pausing for a few seconds before I turn around to look at Peter.

"Peter?" I call out, the boy quietly looking at me, lips slightly pressed together as he lifts his head.

"Promise that whatever happens between them won't come between our friendship?" I say.

"Promise." He says without hesitation. "I'm sure we'll figure something out." He says giving my hand a light squeeze.

With a nod, I let go of his hand and let out a sigh.

"I'm going to try to talk to Tony."

"Okay. I'll be back later." He says. "Just keep me posted."

"I will." I say with a small smile, turning around to my way towards the lab, where he most likely is at this time in the morning.

As I enter his workshop, sparks fly everywhere as he works on his latest suit.

Slightly locking on the door, I make my presence known to him.

"Hey, Tony?" I call out making him look up from his tech. "Can I talk to you?"

"Sure kiddo." He says taking his goggles off, offering a smile when I hand him a cup of coffee. "What's on your mind?"

"Well, it's about the registration act." I say, pursing my lips as I lean on one of the tables.

"What about it?" He asks, taking a sip from the drink before placing the cup down.

"Can you explain what they are about?"

Before answering, Tony lets out a sigh, pulling a chair from under the table.

"I know it's a sensitive topic, but I would like to know more about it."

"Sure." He says, tinkering with his tech as he begins to explain.

"As of now, the government is focused on limiting our involvement in certain affairs, given certain situations in the past. But they also want everyone with abilities to register so that the government can keep track of who they are and what abilities they possess, that way we can avoid more destructive incidents that damage property and hurt people."

"It makes sense." I say nodding.

"Look sweetheart," Tony says lowering his tech, "I really don't want you or the kid getting involved in this. It's easier if we all just sign and get some supervision."