♱ Chapter 13 ♱

Piper

My feet landed gracefully onto the balcony of my room, not making a noise when my boots hit the stone. The moon was setting, making way for the oncoming dawn of the new day. I was exhausted, having spent more time at Evander's than I had originally planned, and also from the lack of sleep over the past two weeks. Though I was exhausted almost every night, it wasn't enough for me to get a peaceful night's rest. Nightmares of Evander's memories and the stress of each day ticking closer to my aging plagued my mind.

I sighed, opening the glass-paned doors that opened into my room. Instantly I took in the slightly burnt smell and the pungent sweetness of rose petals. I furrowed my brow, directing my focus to my desk where the smell was coming from.

On my desk was a beautiful crimson rose, the same as the ones Evander had used to display his magic. Beside it was a folded note, edges crisped and a few ashes laying around it. I realized the burning smell had come from that. I recognized the burning smell as the same smell that came from Evander's summoned fire. Must be the magic that made the burning smell so distinct.

I grabbed the rose and brought it to my nose, breathing in its seductive smell even more potently. I picked up the note gently, sweeping the ash off my desk. Opening the note, I could see the elegant handwriting that sprawled over the paper. A soft flutter presided in my chest as I read the simple words.

Since I forgot to offer you a live rose...  - E.B

I wasn't surprised it was from him, but the kind gesture did take me aback. I smiled softly and placed the note in my drawer. It touched me that Evander, a Warlock who has every right to hate everything about me simply because of my Species, was willing to be cordial. The more I had come to visit, I had noticed he was slowly becoming more relaxed and friendly even.

I made my way to the bathroom, picking up a glass and filled it with water. Placing the perfect rose in the glass, I set the glass beside my bed.

Although morning was fast approaching, I decided I needed to get some sleep at least. I pulled my cloak from my shoulders and hung that before quickly stripping off the rest of my clothes to get a quick shower.

I wanted nothing more than to sink into bed fully dressed and fall asleep. But I knew that I needed to wash the smell of the forest off of me. I jumped in the shower and hastily washed my hair and skin before getting out and wrapping a silk robe around me.

I didn't bother putting on night garments. I got into bed and fell asleep in my robe, dreaming of fire, roses, and dark brown locks of hair.

I had woken up a couple of times during the few hours I slept, meaning that once I finally woke up to get ready for the day, I was just as exhausted as I was when I went to sleep. The few hours of sleep that I did get had done nothing to help. I begrudgingly got dressed into a simple cream lace gown with long sleeves and tried my best to tame my curled onyx hair.

I had no plans today. Except, that was what I was hoping at least. When I made it down to the private dining hall my family used, I quickly learned that I did have plans for today. Although, they weren't any plans I was looking forward to.

"Piper, your first debutante ball is coming up and you still haven't had your dresses fitted," Mother whined, complaining as if I was purposefully procrastinating. I wasn't. I had simply forgotten that the retched event was happening.

How I could forget that I do not know.

"Do you really have to refer to me as a debutante? I cannot remember the last time I heard that term," I groaned, sitting back in my chair with a huff.