CHAPTER 15: Engagement Party

Start from the beginning

When I came out wearing that dress, Carmel gasped. "Uncle is going to definitely swoon over you!"

I blushed. "Thanks."

So, at last, we bought that dress thanks to Carmel's stubbornness.

.
.
.

Saturday came sooner than expected and I felt nervous about the party.

I hardly saw Gareth the whole week, the only time I did was at dinner, that too sometimes. Not that I was complaining.

Archie called the other day inquiring about the fuss about the engagement. And I assured him that it was all just fake. And told him about Isaiah since he knew Isaiah too.

I asked if he could attend the party but he politely refused saying he can't take a leave now.

When I was talking to Archie that day over the call, Gareth must have heard my conversation because he warned me saying not to go about telling people that our engagement is fake.

"He's my best friend." I defended him.

He rolled his eyes and stated. "Trust is a fragile thing. You can't expect everyone to handle it."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes at his statement and said nothing more not wanting to argue with him.

"All done." The makeup artist said as she was done giving me the final touches.

"Thank you." I said and looked at myself in the mirror. I made sure I was wearing the engagement ring Gareth gave me.

The makeup artist left the room, leaving me alone and wore the stilletos.

Someone knocked on the door. "Yes?"

"You ready?" Gareth asked from the other side.

"Y-yes...you can come in."

The door opened slowly and Gareth stepped in wearing a black suit with a bow tie.

He didn't wear his spectacles, his beard was trimmed a little and so was his hair.

I bit my lips as he scanned me from head to toe, his mouth slightly parting. His eyes widening a bit. I felt heat rising up my neck upto my cheeks and the tip of ny ears burnt.

He blinked a few times trying to break the trance he was in and cleared his throat, a tint of pink appearing on his cheeks.

"Shall we leave?" He asked and I frowned.

At least compliment me, asshole.

"And yes..." He said as I stepped forward. "We'll need to...you know hold hands and stuff. So that no touching rule will have to disappear for tonight."

I contemplated about it for a moment, I can't say no to it. Or it will raise suspicion.

"Just for tonight...as long as we are at the party." I confirmed and he nodded his head. "Very well."