CHAPTER 15: Engagement Party

Harper's POV:

After he left the room, I quickly laid down on the bed, covering my face with the duvet, trying to sleep before he comes back.

What the fuck was I even thinking?

Was I really going to kiss him? Seriously?

I calmed down the wild beating of my heart. This is not good. This is definitely not good.

I can't start to have feelings for him.

I'm just here because I am pregnant with his child. Nothing else. Eight more months and I'll leave. Eight more months. I assured myself.

But will I be able to guard my heart for these eight months?

The door of the room opened and my body stilled, pretending to sleep.

I heard his footsteps stop near my bed, I could feel him looking down at me.

He kept standing in that position for a few seconds and then sighed deeply.

"Don't make it difficult for me, Harper." He whispered softly.

And then he walked back to his bed.

What did I even do?

Don't make what difficult?

With these thoughts in my mind, sleep consumed me soon.

.
.
.

The next morning, he left for office earlier. So, he's back to avoiding me.

Great.

I even left for work, taking Aeryn's permission to leave early to buy a dress for the party. I even asked if I could take Carmel with me to which she agreed.

In the evening, Carmel arrived at the restaurant looking excited to go shopping with me.

Everette's car with a driver was already waiting outside so we hopped in and went on a search for a dress.

"How's this?" Carmel pointed to a dress and I shook my head.

We were in one of the famous boutiques in the city though I wanted to go to a less expensive one but Carmel insisted.

And I felt really odd when the owner of the boutique recognised me as Gareth's fiance. I never imagined myself to be famous. But here I was.

"C'mon, Harper. Select atleast one dress.". Carmel complained.

I ran my fingers over the dresses hanging there. "I don't seem to like any one of them."

"I have a better idea. Let's video call uncle and let him decide." She suggested.

"No! Don't call him...he must be busy."

"Oh... don't worry. He can spare some time for his fiance." She wiggled her eyebrows.

I smacked her shoulder. "Shut up. I don't wanna disturb him."

She groaned. "I am getting tired now... you are not choosing--"

"That one." I pointed to a light peach colour, off shoulder, floor length dress on a manequin in the corner.

I eyed the dress carefully but when my eyes fell on the price tag, I refused. "Um...not this one. It's too expensive."

Carmel shook her head lightly. "Oh, Harper. Uncle is a billionaire for God's sake! You can buy whatever you want, he won't mind."

"No, Carmel--"

"Can she try this dress?" Carmel ignored me and shouted to the owner of the boutique.

The owner nodded happily and and asked one of her helpers to help me try that dress.