An Odd Badass Duo

Freya's POV 

I stop and take in a breath before looking at Sophia who has her hands on her knees as she breathes. I hold up my tantos when I hear leaves rustling. Sophia pulls out her knife and holds it like I taught her. 

We sigh in relief when it's only one of Hershel's horses, Nervous Nellie. The one that threw Daryl down the cliff when he was searching for Sophia and I. 
"Hey, Nellie girl. You musta broke out of the barn. It's me, remember" I say, holding my hand up to her as I calmly step up to her. She leans her head down and I pet down her snout. 
"Good girl" I say, taking my backpack off before pulling out some rope I found in the barn the other day. 

I carefully wrap it around her neck before stepping on a stump and jumping on her. She neighs and walks around, pulling the rope slightly so I guide her in a circle. I smile as we move to the stump and I help Sophia get on behind me. 

"Let's get you back to ya mama" I say, making Sophia hug me tighter as I slightly kick Nellie's side to get her moving. 
"Are you sure she got off the farm?" Sophia asks, I nod. 
"Theo, Daryl or Glenn would make sure they got her with one of them. Rick, Hershel and Carl should be on their way to the highway now, if they heard me" I whisper, seeing one of the red ribbons we used on trees to mark areas that needed to be searched for Sophia. 

"I'm cold" Sophia says, I nod with a sigh. 
"So am I. Let's get to the highway first. If the group isn't there we can search the cars for warmer clothes" I whisper, trying to ignore the cold attacking my face since I'm wearing a long sleeved shirt and jeans, I'm fine for now

I look around cautiously as Nellie slightly gallops through the forest.

⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙

2 hours till dawn

We move through the woods cautiously. Nellie making sounds of annoyance everytime Sophia and I flinch at sounds in the forest. 

I hope everyone made it. I miss Daryl, Theo and Glenn the most though. 

Suddenly, the leaves rustle and 7 walkers fight through trees and Nellie starts spinning in a circle and then standing on her hind legs as the walkers get closer, making Sophia and I fall off her. 

I hold my arm in pain after we hit the ground, I look at my arm and see it's bleeding after being cut from a sharp rock. I watch, frozen in my spot as one walker bites Nellie and she makes a sound of pain. I reach for my tantos but Sophia grabs my arm and pulls me up as I grab my slingshot. More walkers bite into Nellie and she goes into a sound of silence. 
"But Nellie-" I start as she starts dragging me. 

"She isn't breathing anymore. Don't worry" She whispers as she drags me the way Nellie was going.

⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙⊙

3 Hours Later. 

I finally look back at Sophia when I realize we are near the highway. I pause and pull out my blades when I hear voices, kneeling down and pulling Sophia with me. Listening carefully, I smile when I hear a familiar blonde's voice. Beth. Grabbing Sophia's hand, we make our way through some cars before seeing some of the group. 

"Sophia!" I hear Carol yell, running to us, I let go of Sophia's hand and move to the side so the mother and daughter can be together again. I smile at them but secretly frowning in my head. My mother was never excited to see me. But I had Grandpa and Uncle Paul, even Smithy. Lu became my mother figure for a few years but then her and Smithy moved away.