14: Spawn of Satan

Waking up slowly, I rub at my itchy, burning eyes. For the first time in a long time, I slept without nightmares. Maybe because I never slept deep enough for the nightmare to come, or maybe because my subconscious figured I was already upset enough without adding fuel to the fire. Either way, I'm grateful for the reprieve.

Noticing the time, I climb out of the bed, aware that we need to leave soon to go back home. Checkout time is in a little more than an hour. I eye the empty side of the bed where Hazel should be in confusion before leaving the room to wake the others.

Micah lays snoring in the same place we left him last night, sprawled on the couch in the game room. I roughly shake him awake, not having time to be gentle about it, since we all still need to pack. The two of us head off together to wake Oliver, and in search of Hazel. Entering Oliver and Micah's room silently, our eyes grow wide, and we both freeze in place. Looks like Everett and I aren't the only ones who got a little out of hand last night.

Oliver and Hazel both sleep soundly on the bed, half dressed. Their bodies are pressed tightly together, with his arms wrapped around her, holding her to him.

"Well, this just got interesting," Micah whispers, amusement clear in his voice.

We both creep back out of the room, choosing to give them some privacy for the awkwardness that's no doubt going to creep in when they wake up. Turning, we decide to head to my room, and pack up mine and Hazel's belongings for now. Micah gives the door a hard knock before we walk away, chuckling as he does it.

We run into Everett in the hallway, and his eyes immediately dart to the floor, avoiding my own, and I sigh quietly. Looks like we're right back to where we were before he caved and decided we'd be friends. I hold my head high, and walk past him towards my room, refusing to show him how much the rejection hurts.

"What do you think's going on with Oliver and Hazel? Do you think they're going to freak out when they wake up, or do you think they'll go with it?" Micah asks, throwing Hazel's things in her bag without even glancing at any of it.

I shrug, less interested than I was last night. I'm too consumed with thoughts of last night, and the emotions that followed. I kind of want to curl up and hide. Everett's rejection still burns hot in my chest. I never realized how painful and embarrassing rejection is until the moment he pushed me off of him last night. I'm not looking forward to facing him again any more than he wants to face me.

Just then Hazel stumbles into the room looking hungover, but not too upset by what she woke up to this morning. Micah gives her a huge grin, making it known that we're not in the dark as to what happened. She rolls her eyes at him before gripping her head.

"Oh, god. It hurts to move my eyes," she whispers, and Micah laughs loudly causing her to visibly wince in pain.

"Micah, hurry up and pack so we can get on the road," I say with a shake of my head.