07. 4 Inches to the Right

Mulai dari awal

-

Maddie

Today, I was told that my solo was going to be dedicated to my grandma. I tried to act as surprised as I could, but I'm not the best actor in the world. Still wondering why Cesar thought I was one of the best speakers for the audition.

I did a confessional while Nia was practicing her solo and I heard her screaming at her feet, and asking if she knew what the word technique meant. Then I heard an oddly familiar voice. It was Minister Dawn.

"Tell her that I'm here. I need to see her."

My mom was probably working at the desk today, because she was the one to inform Abby about it.

-

I was so excited today, because today was when Miss Abby would reveal our costumes. Sometimes, whoever has solos wear they're costumes after they get them and do a fashion show. Whoever doesn't get a solo gets to be a judge. First, Abby gave us a list on what to wear while we're at the competition. It was all going smoothly until Cathy decided to break the rules.

"Hold the phone for just a moment because, we've already went shopping and we've bought some fabulous clothes and I'm seeing here 'black and white nighttime' and I'm going to assume your talking about banquets and I have a fabulous fuchsia formal that I'm going to be wearing and she has green. You do remember that I am not the team player and we will be packing at home. And what we pack is what we're bringing."

I don't really do this in front of the cameras, but I just couldn't help but roll my eyes. If she doesn't want to be a team player, like she did last week, then there's no reason she should be on the team. It's not like we really need Vivi to be on this team. She doesn't even want to dance. Every time shes around us, she looks miserable and wants to eat tacos.

-

The rehearsal for Make You Mine was pitiful. I don't know where Nia's head was, but it wasn't here. Her moves weren't as sharp as usual and her feet were sickled every time she did a leap. She will ruin the dance for all of us.

After we rehearsed the dance a couple times, we were doing a fitting for costumes. My crop top included a tiny white jeweled sports bra and a fluffy thin skirt. Brooke's turned out a little smaller than we thought and Paige had a red orange sports bra with matching flared pants. Chloe's fabric was a little too thin, and Nia's costume was...unique. She was wearing an animal print jumpsuit and she was suppose to wear an afro along with it. Nia actually loved it, but the judges might not.

-

As we boarded the bus, we all noticed Cathy wasn't there. Typical. Chloe sat next to Paige on the bus and watched YouTube videos, Kenzie sat with Clara and I sat with Nia. Abby was yelling at the bus driver for the duration of the bus ride to get there faster. Most of the time he would get us there early or on time, but were around thirty minutes late, and I'm already anxious enough. If Nia messes up the dance, she'll mess it up for all of us.

I rushed my mom to get my hair done. Mackenzie whined and asked mom to do hers first.

"I'm sorry Kenzie, the groups first."

I stuck my tongue out to Mackenzie who pouted and sent glares my way.

My mom put my hair in a french twist which was way too tight. "Does that feel alright?"

"Not really"

"Do you have to go to the bath-"

"No! Just fix my hair"

"Mom I need eyelashes."

"You need earrings."

"Fine where are they?" I examined them. They were chunky and black. "Not those."

I ignored my moms constant yelling while I found the eyelashes but they were a little too complicated to put on, so I put it off until later and applied some lipstick.

"Maddie go do some turns to see if the hair moves please."

Ugh! I threw the lipstick back in the makeup box and started doing some a la seconds.

We went backstage with our chairs and I only hoped for the best for Nia.

"Make You Mine, number 128."

Everything was going fine, until Nia was too far from the rest of us. She was probably around four inches away from Brooke from the right and was clearly noticeable. And too make it worse, she messed up her leap. I'm surprised her jump didn't lead her off the stage.

Chloe

It was all fakes smiles until Maddie got off the stage, crying.

"We were terrible."

I was going to say that it was just a dance. But it wasn't. If we didn't place, it was goodbye nationals for us. But, I didn't want to look upset in front of Nia. She probably thinks its all her fault.

"Why were you crying?"

Because Nia messed up the dance which would have been perfect if it was just a solo. But Maddie wouldn't dare say it out loud.

"I got hurt a little." Maddie said.

"You got hurt?"

"When I jumped off my chair, I twisted her ankle." I fought the urge to roll my eyes while Maddie was lying her butt off. If you're going to whine about it, own up.

-

"Only four tenths of a point separate first from third. Third place is...Gratitude number 124. Your second place world champion is Make You Mine number 128."

Maddie, who was suppose to get the award, didn't want to get the award.

"Maddie go get it," I said as I nudged her.

She faked the pain as she held on to her foot. "My ankle" she whined.

"I'll get it." Paige rose up to get the award and announced our company as second place. Something Maddie never wanted to do.

As Maddie was getting reader for her Angel solo, I saw her practicing turns.

"Your ankle's better?"

She looked confused, as if she didn't know what I was talking about, but she slowly caught on and told me that it got better.

We stayed a little later than we usually do at competitions because Maddie entered Miss Petite Starbound. Paige and I wanted to enter, but I was junior and Paige is a year older than me. And besides our moms told us we were dancers, not pageant queens. Maddie was crowned Miss Petite Starbound and Nia performed her solo. Paige and Nia's solos didn't place, I got sixth, Brooke got third and the duet with Mackenzie and Vivi-Anne didn't place. Abby didn't really make a big fuss about it since Maddie got first and also won a crown, and if Maddie's happy, Abby's happy.