THIRTY ONE

HOME, that was a curious word to hear coming out from Keir's mouth. Where the hell was home? Such a word did not belong in the vocabulary of such a person. Yet that man continued coming forwards as if he couldn't see the ripple of disgust morphing Theo's face.

    "Here." He murmured, placing the pile of clothes on the sheets and reaching towards Theo.

    Keir's fingers hooked onto the edge of Theo's hospital shift, but before the garment could become undone, Theo grabbed hold of Keir's wrist. His fingers tightened so hard, the rigid edge of Keir's bones cut ridges into his flesh.

    "What are you doing?" The words slid bitterly from between Theo's teeth.

    Keir's gaze flickered to meet Theo's, and he smiled quickly in a heartbeat, a glassy film descending over his eyes, "Well, you have to get changed first before we go home, unless, you want to leave wearing that."

    He ran a critical look over Theo's white shift, and shrugged, still teasingly holding the edge, "It's your choice."

    Theo stared at him, astounded, his mind a jumbled mess that seemed unable to process the sight in front of him, except for the fact that it did and clearly. Too clearly. He ran his tongue along the inside of his cheek slowly.

    "What's wrong with you?"

    Keir's smile sweetened very, very carefully, widening into something dangerously syrupy that sent nausea running up through Theo's guts in crashing tides.

    "What do you mean?" Keir tilted his head almost innocently, "Why would there be anything wrong? It just pains me to see you injured like this."

    Theo's stomach doubled, but he swallowed back the reflex to gag. He took back everything he ever thought before. Keir will never be alright, a smiling, laughing, gentle Keir was even crazier and twice as frightening.

    "I can change myself." Theo gave another tug at Keir's hand.

    Staring at Theo's grip for a moment, Keir withdrew his fingers obediently and stood up.

    "I'll be waiting outside." He slid open the door and stopped abruptly, "Oh, and don't think about jumping out of the window, Setton's waiting outside."

    Bang.

    Letting out a slow breath, Theo raised his third finger at the door. It seemed hard to believe, but he'd much rather deal with an unstable Keir than.... This thing. The hell was going on anyway? It was evident that Keir wasn't completely out of his mind, he just told him that he knew very clearly that it was Theo in front of him, so why keep up the act? It was like watching a two man show.

    Buttoning the shirt carefully below his wound and pulling up the pants, Theo stood unsteadily and headed towards the door, fighting the pounding headache that blotted the edge of his vision black. Before he even got halfway across the room, Keir stepped back in and extended an arm.

    "You should've called me."

    Theo narrowed his eyes at the continued act but said nothing.

    Seeing Theo ignore his arm, Keir reached out and held onto Theo's elbow firmly instead, leading him out of the corridor. Theo didn't want to admit it, but having Keir hold onto him steadied his balance and rushing head.

    "The doctors said that I could be discharged?" He asked, eyeing the rush of people around him.

    "Are you still feeling unwell?" Keir's eyes grazed the edge of Theo's bandage, and his jaws hardened, "The family doctor's on duty, she's very capable."