Death Without Dying

Começar do início

Arthur looked over his shoulder, watching the younger boy as he sat forlornly at the base of a tree. Dazed, he shook his head slowly. "I'm sorry... it's all so strange... Part of me thinks I might wake up at any moment. It's easy to wrap your head around magic when you've seen it used all your life, but to be used to travel through time... It's just hard to..." He shook his head again and shifted his feet. "I've always had my doubts about magic being pure evil... in the back of my mind I did, but... I never expected someone so close..." his eyes widened as he gestured with his hands, "I can forgive Merlin for not telling me about his magic, but-"

Morgana glanced nervously at their surroundings. "Arthur, I don't think we have time for-"

"The situation is dire, I get it! But you have to give me a moment to fully comprehend what you're asking me to do."

"You need Merlin and Merlin needs you," Morgana said quickly. 

"You're two side of the same coin as far as destiny is concerned," Freya added. "One day The Once And Future King will rise once more and when he does, Emrys will be there to help him along the way."

Arthur's brow furrowed as he let out a sigh. "Umm..." it had only confused him further. "I don't-"

"The Arthur of the future matured with him, respects him, would do anything for Merlin..."

"Arthur, you need him," Morgana said, not quite meeting his gaze. "You need Merlin to be there for you when you rise again." 

"Your bond will become paramount. That's all you need to know."

He nodded. "Okay..."

"Just put everything else out of your mind and he'll believe it. Deep down, he want's to believe it."

"Okay."

Their conversation was interrupted by a sudden scream. Merlin was sprinting towards them, yelling and waving his arms. He was violently lifted off his feet and sent careening in the direction of the lake. His body tumbled through the air, eventually splashing into the murky water. 

"He's here," Morgana said. 

Arthur's eyes widened. 

"You can do it," she reassured him.

"Get down! Freya hissed, grabbing both of his arms and forcing him under the water where he couldn't be seen. 

Morgana was left alone on the rocky shore, scanning the darkness where the clearing met the trees. There it was, the glint of Excalibur waiting for her,  resting on the bark of a tree. In his panic, Merlin must have left it. Morgana's mouth was a desert, dry and cracking, contrary to the rest of her body which was flooded with panicked sweat. She had to force herself to breath, taking one shaky breath after another. She began to walk slowly and as calmly as possible in the direction of the sword. Maybe Kyulds hadn't noticed it there. If she made a mad dash for it, it might be given away. Where was he? Why was he waiting to attack? 

When she was only steps away, she couldn't take it any longer. Her entire body tensed. Adrenaline surged through her as she bolted to the sword. Stones and pebbled flew in her wake. Her hand gripped the handle, the glossy feel of the leather sliding across her finger tips. It wasn't a moment too soon. 

From the shadows of the woods came the battered solider, his one golden eye appearing before the rest of him. Morgana swung wildly, catching him off guard with a slice to his abdomen. He howled in rage, but the blow didn't slow him down. It only angered him. He came at Morgana again. There was no time for her to raise the blade, no time for her to run. His hands sprouted lightning claws and his eyes burst with fired pain and fury. Morgana screamed as the hot icy energy passed through her. She jolted backward, slamming into the trunk of a thick tree.