An Hour's Promise

Merlin struggled through the darkening hallway. Evening light spilled through the windows and transitioned the world into starlight. He didn't dare call out for help, not wanting to alert the wrong person. He didn't know where Morgana was and was in no position to fend off any attack. 

He heard the gentle sound of rain falling on the citadel stones. He reached a window that overlooked the courtyard bellow.  He peered through the misty fog and noticed a group of men in red capes dismount from their horses. He spotted Arthur in an instant. He was about to call out to him when he noticed who he helped off their own horse: Morgana. He watched as she thanked him and hurried up the steps of the citadel, clutching a long object wrapped in burlap. Merlin shivered as he realized what that meant for him. She found the sword. She found excalibur, a blade meant only to be used only by and for Arthur. 

He made his way as fast as he could down the long stretches of hallway, his legs and arms still chained uncomfortably together. By the looks of it, Arthur had been headed to the armory and that's where Merlin intended to find him. 

<<>>

"Will we have training in the morning, sire?" Arthur jerked his head in the direction of the voice, a young knight, Sir Vinlind, who stood at the edge of the doorway. 

"I... um..." Arthur massaged his temple with a gloved hand. "No... no, we'd better not. Tell everyone they should get some sleep."

"Will do, sire." The young knight bowed and left the prince to himself. 

Arthur slumped down on a bench and began to carelessly take off his boots and armor. He scattered them across the floor, then felt another wave of guilt and sorrow wash over him when he realized there was no one there to pick them up, no Merlin to give him a witty retort about the state of his stench. 

"Prince Arthur!"

He sat up abruptly, startled by the yell of Sir Vinlind from down the hall. 

"Come quick!!"

Arthur was on his feet in an instant. He burst through the door of the armory and into the hall to find Sir Vinlind kneeling over someone who was laying on the floor. 

"Merlin?!" Arthur cried. He kelt down and winced as he saw bruises and cuts covering his servant's body, the most concerning one being a deep dark line across his chest surrounded by disturbing discoloration. 

"Figures it would take a clotpole like yourself so long to rescue me that I'd have to do it myself. And to think-" the servant was cut off by a tight hug from his prince. He hissed in pain. 

"Sorry, sorry!" Arthur said. "Sir Vinlind, go get Gaius!" The knight obeyed, running off in the direction of the physicians chambers.

Arthur teared a piece of fabric off his own shirt and pressed it into Merlin's wound. The servant cried out and clutched at Arthur's arm at the intense pain. 

"I'm sorry, Merlin! I'm so sorry, but I have to stop the bleeding. Was it Morgause who did this to you?! How did you escape?!"

"Arthur... Arthur... it's your father, he... he's in danger."

"What?"

"Morgause she... she kept me in his chambers. She's got him under some kind of enchantment. He was able to break through it long enough to free me, but... she's got him still and I doubt she'll be very happy when she realizes I'm gone."

Arthur stared at him in disbelief. "What are you saying?"

"What do you mean 'what am I saying?'? I've been here in the citadel the whole time! Morgause never left!"