An Unexpected Interaction

To Morgana's relief, the fight played out exactly like it was supposed to, with Morgause's sword at Arthur's chest. The crowd, especially Uther looked on in abject horror as Morgause said something to the prince, then backed away, satisfied with his answer.

Before she retreated from the arena, she caught Morgana's eye. A mutual understanding passed between them.

Morgana walked beside Gwen as the crowd filed from the stands. The maid was smiling.

"What's got you so happy?" Morgana asked, remembering she had once said something similar. 

Gwen's grin only grew wider. "Our worries can be resolved now, can't they... Prince Arthur isn't dead!"

"Indeed."

"And... I think he might have learned a lesson about underestimating certain opponents."

"I believe he has." she smirked. 

<<>>

The next few days were quite uneventful. To the surprise delight of Morgana, she spent a quite a bit of her time with Gwen, meandering the grounds and garden's of the citadel and wandering the streets and colorful vendors in the lower town.

Of course, Uther had been in a rage when he found Arthur had disobeyed him and ventured off, keeping his word to Morgause, but Morgana knew by now how to stay out of his way. 

However, as she knew he would, Arthur returned safely and nothing was said of the prince showing any homicidal tendencies toward his king, or at least none that she had noticed. 

She was slightly ashamed to admit it, but Morgana was having a pleasant time reliving her peaceful past - that is, until something happened that she wasn't counting on. 

She had given Gwen the evening off and found herself high in the battlements, looking out over the vast city. 

"Morgana?"

She turned hastily, not expecting any disturbance. "Oh, Merlin..." Her heart rate quickened. Merlin had not approached her before, not on this day. What was she to do?

"I wanted to umm..." he stumbled over his words. His bright young eyes flitted about their surroundings, landing anywhere but Morgana's face. "I wanted to speak to you about... you know... I want to make sure you're okay..."

"Oh," Morgana stared, trying to read his expression. 

"Will you allow me?"

"I suppose so," she said of of curiosity. 

"You seemed upset the other day and I wanted to know if there was something troubling you." Finally he made eye contact. "Do you really think magic had something to do with your fainting spell?"

She hesitated. That is what she had said, but not what she wanted him to believe. Her insides writhed with a mixture of guilt and hate as she was transfixed by the genuine concern housed in Merlin's innocent expression. "Oh, no... I was just confused the other day. I don't think it had anything to do with magic."

He furrowed his brow. "Are you sure? I thought it might make sense..."

"Why would you think that?"

"Because... after you fell, your skin was like ice. I could barley hold onto you. You were too cold. You felt more than dead."

Morgana had no response to this. The chill must have been a side affect of Kyulds' spell, but she couldn't yet reveal herself. "I-"

"Gaius thinks I imagined it but..." he shook his head. "I can't shake the feeling that something strange is going on."