6. i dare you

• vorfreude •꒷꒦꒷︶˚︶︶꒷꒦˚꒦꒷︶˚︶︶꒷꒦˚︶˚︶︶꒷꒦

• vorfreude •
꒷꒦꒷︶˚︶︶꒷꒦˚꒦꒷︶˚︶︶꒷꒦˚︶˚︶︶꒷꒦

Jeongguk was happy to see you all smiley.

He loved the contrast from yesterday's all-skeptical, seriousness yesterday even when you frowned and questioned. "Don't you work?"

Your fingers laced around the iced cup while you took a sip of your vanilla latte.

It was weird how you'd devoted yourself to have tried every single drink off the café's menu. It was even weirder how the drinks had devoted to constantly add an extra pound onto you every week. It wasn't even a fair deal.

"Overnight shifts." He replied nonchalantly, reclining to comfort in his chair.

"Really?" You shot a glance at the time display on your laptop. "How are you up so early then? Share your caffeine source, don't be shy."

Jeongguk chuckled dryly, finding his cue to lean forward and rest his arms on the table. "I just came back from work."

Confusion spread across your face like wildfire, brows knitting together in an strange complex. "You look like you just returned from a Thai massage session. Are you even human?"

The boy took in his own appearance. Well, it didn't exactly tell that he'd pulled another all-nighter, the uncrumpled shirt seeming too sweat-free and his jeans a little too snug around his small waist. Shit didn't add up.

"Let's just say that I don't need a lot of sleep to function normally."

He watched you narrow your eyes, nonetheless playing along in a not-so-discreet manner. "Does short sleeper syndrome run in your family?"

"Nope, I'm a rarity."

You're my soulmate. You gave the younger boy a light-tipped smile, clearly meaning the forthcoming from the bottom of your heart. "That you just might be."

"Do you know why?" You leant a little forward.

"Why?"

"Because you saved a life." He blinked at your response, watching you shut your laptop down before establishing eye contact. His darkest amber irises that held a soft glow. "Not many people get that opportunity."

"I beg to differ." He gently interrupted, interior light reflecting off yet another metal stud budded onto his tongue. "Many people get that opportunity, but not many get to follow."

You stilled.

A single, loud thud. Shattering glass. Darkness swallowing you whole as you felt nothing apart from your pounding head.

Your fingertips automatically crept up to the source of the pain, leading you to wince as the skin met with a fresh wound, coating them a pretty crimson. Your eyes screwed shut as you tried to calm your erratic breathing. It hurt too much to open them.