7

Jung Whee-in, the third daughter and the last child of the Jung family, was one curious child who admire her father for his job. 'When I grow up, I want to be like daddy.'

In the siblings of three, Whee-in was the only one with strong sense of justice. With her father as a role model, she wanted to follow his footsteps - hoping she could help as many people as she could.

But the smiles and the incredible stories of her father were not as happy and easy as she thought it would be. Behind the curtain was a worn-out police officer and an exhausted father.

From encouraging Whee-in to study hard to pass the civil service exam, one summer Mr. Jung got promoted and tried to put a full-stop to Whee-in's dream. He wanted Whee-in to enjoy the luxury and live a peaceful life with no guns and fights. He did not want Whee-in to find out how scary the world she was willing to enter.

"Why are you like this, dad? You know how much I work hard for this day."

"I said no. You will not appear for the exam." Mr. Jung stood firm with his words.

"You can't stop me. I will do what I want with my life."

"If you continue to be like this, you will no longer be my daughter."

Whee-in hesitated for a second. She knew her father wanted to scare her with his words but she also knew her father well. She did not want to severe ties with her family but her gut feeling was telling her to take the risk. She looked at her mother who was there helpless in the situation.

Whee-in took a deep breath and reluctantly walk out of the house to follow her dream, hoping she made the right choice.

The day Whee-in got selected, her mom was the only one who was genuinely happy for her. She knew Whee-in would be successful and was silently praying for her. However, the father-daughter relationship only got worse. No one knew about them and what the daughter didn't realized, it was her father's way of protecting his child.

Mr. Jung only wanted the best for his daughters and in order to do so, he chose to follow the devil's path. He helped in covering up the crimes caused by Byul's men. Taking this chance to hold more power, Byul helped Mr. Jung get promoted for higher position and had him work under her. It was a win-win for both of them but Byul had the upper hand.

>>>

[Present day]

Whee-in's mother was shattered when she could not reach for Whee-in and hasn't returned home for three days. In Whee-in's room, she picked up the photo frame on the table. The teenage Whee-in in the photo was smiling brightly. The calm and smart girl whom Mrs. Jung dearly loved had lost the smile ever since the day her husband opposed the dream of the young girl.

Knowing that she did not stand for her daughter and could not support her openly, Mrs. Jung felt guilty thinking about what Whee-in must have endured all these times.