50. Pain | درد

Start from the beginning

Instantly, he wrapped the bandage around her wrist to stop the bleeding but the blood was merciless. "I'm not gonna let anything happen to you." He grimaced and it was that moment when her eyes rolled back and she slipped into the world of oblivion.

"HAYAT..." He yelped her name as he patted her alabaster cheek but no response came. Dreadfully, he held her wrist and let out a breath when he felt her pulse. Scooping her in his arms, he shot up on his feet, and dashed out of the room, followed by the other three.

The ride from NGO to the hospital felt as if he was walking on the carpet of endless thorns. It didn't seem to end. It was too long, as if he'd never reach there.

"Can you please drive faster?" He let out feverishly from behind, his one arm gently wrapped around Safa as her face was buried in the crook of his neck, while the other hand held her bleeding wrist firmly.

"I'm driving as fast as I can. It's Karachi. You know what happens here when it rains." Ahid replied in hurry. Ayat rode shotgun while Waliya sat beside Safa in the backseat.

The rain still hadn't stopped as it fell down mercilessly in full torrents. Rain had never been her good friend.

"She's going to be alright, right?" Waliya looked at Azlan with hope, her lips wobbling.

"Your sister is a fighter. And not just a fighter; a winner." His obsidian orbs glinted with determination, while his heart a chaotic wreck. I'd die before I let anything happen to her. The car finally came to a halt and he stepped out hastily.

Her arms flailed lifelessly on either side of him as he carried her inside the hospital in the protective cocoon of his strong and muscular arms, her head lolling downwards as the curtain of her wet hair swung lose on the back. He had thrown a shawl over her wet clothes which was now soaked in the harsh drops along with them, too. The blood still flowing from her wrist tumbled down on the unblemished marble floor. The other three were right behind him who were now completely drenched, too.

He yelled for the doctor and a few nurses emerged out with a stretcher. Delicately he placed her on it as if she was the most fragile thing in this universe. They moved the stretcher towards the ER while he scurried along, his hand holding hers.

Poison dissolved within him once he had to let go of her hand. The creak of ER's door closing crushed his already broken soul as he saw her being taken away from him. A silent prayer left his mouth as he crashed on the wall behind.

Ya Allah, please, give me my Safa back. I promise, I'll vanish from her life. But please don't let her vanish from mine. Take mine instead. I'd be more than happy to serve it to you on a platter, but not hers please.

He broke down as he slid down against the wall.

******

Her half-tied hair danced along with the rhythm of the wind as she stood on the corner of the bridge, drinking away at the beautiful sight of waterfall. The exotic view was able to somewhat relax her. That was until the clouds roared. Her eyes instantly trailed upwards towards the black clouds, moving something inside of her.

Her first thought was of her best friend.

Safa was in trouble. She could sense it. Something had happened to her and she was sure. Clutching the railing tightly she cowered forward as umpteen duas escaped her mouth, the chain of which was now broken by the chime of her phone.