29

They don't move away from the beach. Instead, Lucas takes out his portable barbecue once midday arrives. He serves hamburgers and sausages to Damian, then offers them to Aoi, who has to reluctantly refuse, for she doubts it would be wise to test new foods, her current state considered.

Although her mind still feels like it could float away should she tilt her head too much, or laugh a little too loudly, Aoi has regained her vision. Her headache is gone.

The young woman sits atop a towel, shuts her eyes and indulges in the scent of Lucas's cooking, then blinks again as she stares out at the ocean. It is odd to her, how she finds that this place feels more like home than home ever was to her.

When Damian and Lucas have finished eating, and Aoi has drank yet another bottle of medical food, Lucas packs up his grill and engages in a game of tag with Damian across the beach.

They don't spend their final day hunting for aliens, or trying to make the best of their time. They merely enjoyed the fact that they are alive and existing, and able to experience the world around them.

When Aoi breaks it to Damian that they will be turning back once morning come, they are seated around a campfire Lucas has built on the sand, yet still away from the waters, sharing memories of days they wish they could return to.

Damian does not argue. He understands. "It's not like this could have lasted forever anyway," he tells the two, in a voice that is both warm, and broken all the same. "Thanks," he forces a smile as he stares at his friends from across orange flames. "Even if we didn't find the aliens, I enjoyed this a lot."

Lucas and Aoi stare at each other then smirk. On an invisible count of three, they both lunge forward and tackle Damian in a group hug. "Look at you!" Lucas exclaims, as he ruffles Damian's hair and chuckles. "Being so wholesome like that, how dare you!"

The inseparable trio fool around together by the oceanside until dusk shows its face, along with cooler winds. They are forced to go back into Lucas's van to dry themselves off, in order to avoid getting a cold.

Aoi catches Damian observing his phone with much insistence as she towels the sand out of her onyx hair. "Someone annoying you?" she asks him, as his phone's light shines a light purple glow against his face from within the darkness of the van.

"Nah." Damian shakes his head. He shrugs. "Just thinking..." he mutters.

"About?"

"My sister." The young man clears his throat. "I think... I want to go to her funeral, after all."

"Oh." Aoi pauses. "Alone?"

He turns to raise a brow at her and cringes. "I mean, it's not like I could invite someone. It's... kind of a gloomy event."

"I'd come if you'd invite me," Aoi blurts, before a heat of warmth rises to her face, and she quickly shakes her hands in the air before her, then adds, "N-no! I mean, I don't enjoy funerals, but I know you don't want to see your family. So, like... for support, I'd come."

"Really?" Damian seems genuinely taken aback and surprised. "You wouldn't mind?"

She smirks. "Not if it makes you feel better."

After that, Lucas returns.

The three greet the night by watching fireworks that are set off across the ocean, from the van's roof. It is cold, and Aoi shivers. As she brings her knees to her chest, like she has found herself doing a lot lately, Damian notices, and immediately takes off his sweater that he puts around the young woman.

Perhaps, the two would have had a moment, if Lucas does not immediately groan, then declares that he is going to fetch them a blanket, because he, too, is, "Freezing."