The Phone Call (Noel)

Comenzar desde el principio

"DREW!" Jacob yelled, holding back a snort.

"FOR THE LAST TIME JACOB I WILL LITERALLY ABSORB YOU IF YOU INTERRUPT MY BRITNEY SPEARS CONCERT WHILE I'M COOKING. IT HELPS ME FOCUS ON MAKING MY MIE GORENG!" Drew snapped.

The rest of us died laughing at Drew's impromptu karaoke session while he finished a traditional Mie Goreng, which is an Indonesian fried noodle dish with shrimp and seasonal vegetables. Of course, over quarantine, the lack of things to do had allotted more areas to pick up hobbies or refine our abilities, and it had also given us time to have many deep conversations with the LED mood lights on (because we're cool and someone will elaborate more on that later). Cam and Ember began to collect the dishes to set the table as Jacob, Sam, Connor, and Ben shifted it back to accommodate dinner after we moved it earlier to clean the floors. Andie, Bryn, and I helped Drew prepare each station similar to a potluck, with sides of roasted pineapple and rolls. From this, it looks like we live and dine like rich people, and to be honest, with Jeff Bezos' constant endorsement to weasel himself into the government, it kind of feels like it. But, it's really all compensation for us being taken from our families and our home countries and hidden away from the world. We are also expected to continue our training, and to be able to stay fit and continue growing through puberty, we have to eat well too.

"Drew, this is really good," Connor said, mouth full. For this Ember swatted him. "OW! What the heck man?"

"Don't talk with your mouth full Connor. It's rude."

"Your lack of appreciation for these cedar pecan curls is rude. I gelled it today and only The Boys complimented me!"

"Aw, is your TikTok hair unappreciated? What if I just-"

"NO!"

Everyone laughed and oooed as Ember swiftly ran her fingers through Connor's hair, messing up the lazy spirals, and then we began to eat- I swear Drew's recipes get better and better. The savory shrimp pairs wonderfully with the herb filled sauce and noodles, and the vegetables add a fresh taste to it.

"Does anyone know what we're doing after dinner?" Jacob asked.

"No, I think it's Friday so we don't have anything," I replied.

"Ooh! What about-"

"NO! I'm not watching another episode of River Monsters, that stuff is too scary." Cam said, exasperated.

"Okay, then what do you want to do?"

"We can watch old movies!" Bryn squeaked.

"Okay but how old. Because I really don't want to see Grease. Again." Andie said.

"Oh, one more time?"

"No, Drew. No."

"I vote Romeo and Juliet with the guy who looks like Troy Bolton and Luke Skywalker had a baby."

"Eww, they totally suck faces, Bryn!" Connor whined.

"Just like you and Ember did last Sat-"

"ALL IN FAVOR SAY AY!" Ember interjected quickly.

Resounding 'ay's were made, except for a miffed Connor, who was very not happy about watching this movie. Nevertheless, we began the movie, and sat in our conversation pit to watch.

About halfway through the movie, our wall phone rang. We all glanced at each other in confusion, and I got up to answer it. I placed my fingerprint in the scanner before the phone was able to be answered, and then picked up.

"Hello?"

"Hello. Is this Noel?"

"Um, yes, how can I help you? Who is this?"