Chapter 6: Late night Company

I spent the next week and a half practicing and getting my forms right. I had my horse's hooves trimmed, had a vet check, had a chiropractor come out, and had a masseuse come out all in preparation for the rodeo that was in 3 days.
We leave tomorrow for Jackson Wyoming where the next run would take place. Currently I was packing my saddle, bridle, girth, splint boots, bell boots, halters, feed, feed and water buckets, saddle pads, fly sheet, fly mask, brushes, etc. After organizing it all into the tack room of my 3 horse trailer, a dusted my jeans off and poured food for my horses.
Having only clothes left to pack, I allowed myself time to groom my horses while they ate. It was nice spending time with them.
Before I knew it, it was dark outside and I had to go in to hide from the mosquitos. I kicked the mud off my boots before setting them inside the door and I walked to the kitchen to wash my hands and help with supper.
"You've been out there for quite some time." My mother stated and I just smile.
After the table is set, I say grace and we eat. I swear Sammy doesn't get fed at his house cuz he always eats here.
"Say Sammy, how come you're always over here and you always eat here?" I asked breaking the silence.
"Well uh... things aren't great at home. After mom left us dad hasn't been the same..." he started and I suddenly felt really bad for asking.
"I'm so sorry to asking." I said putting my napkin down and standing up.
"No it's fine I'm never over there anyways." He gives me a reassuring smile but I walk over and hug him anyways. I kiss his temple before squeezing his shoulder then taking my plate to clean it.
"Well I'm going to turn in for the night. Sammy since we are leaving so early, if you want to stay the night here so you can come with us I don't mind as long as mum is okay with it." I said before starting up the stairs.
"Oh I don't mind." I heard my mother say before I tuned them out and went to my room. I grabbed a small duffel bag since I was only going to be gone 2 days. I packed undergarments, 3 fancy pairs of rodeo jeans, 3 nice pearl snap rodeo shirts that matched each pair of jeans, my belt and buckle, my fancy rodeo boots, 2 nice outfits, and all my shower stuff.
After everything was packed, I tossed my bag by my door so I wouldn't forget it and I changed into my pajamas. Not long after, I laid down and went to sleep. Everything went calm and peaceful. Not a care in the world.
     I woke up when my cat Roman jumped on my chest. He's long blue-grey fur tickled my nose. My fingers found their way to his neck and I ran my fingers through the Maine Coon's thick fur. He purred loudly and kneaded his paws on my arm.
     Not long after that, he got distracted and hopped off me. Glancing over at my alarm clock, I noticed it was only 2 o'clock in the morning. I sighed heavily and rolled over trying to go back to sleep.
     My nerves ate at me and refused to let me sleep so at 2:27 I decided I should get up and stretch my legs. After I slipped on a pair of jeans, I tiptoed down the stairs to the kitchen.
     I soon found myself standing in front of the refrigerator so I opened it and pulled out the jug of minute-maid orange juice.
     My ears picked up the sound of the cabinet opening and glasses being shifted.
     "Eep!" I jumped and turned around quickly throwing an apple that I grabbed.
     "Down tiger!" Sammy laughed after he caught the apple and took a bite out of it. I put my hand on my chest and the other hand on my knee to calm my heart.
     "You... suck." I breathed out glaring at him. "Hey that apple wasn't for you!" I complained going to snatch it from him.
     "Then why'd ya give it to me? He asked moving his hand so I couldn't grab the apple. He took another bite and I slapped him on the arm.
     "No fair." I grumbled grabbing a glass from the cabinet he opened. "Want a glass of OJ?" I asked him.
     "Yes thanks." He gave me a charming smile and I gave him an evil smile in return.
     "Then get your own." I said sweetly while pouring my glass.
     "What! No fair." He pouted all cute and I just shrugged and put the jug back.
     When I turned around to get my glass, he already had it and was emptying it.
     "No fair that's mine!" I shouted poking him in the chest.
     "Finders keepers." He winked before finishing it off. I frowned before digging my fingers into his side to tickle him. He started choking and I laughed.
     "Serves you right." I laugh before I looked up and he pushed me against the counter and set the glass down beside the apple.
     "Then this serves you right." Was all he whispered and I backed up completely to the cabinet and he placed his hands on the counter on either side on my body.
     "Um... S-Sammy? What are you doing?" I panicked looking anywhere but at him.
     "Look at me." He whispered and tilted my chin up to face him with his index finger.
     I froze, held my breath, and squeezed my eyes shut as he leaned down and placed a soft kiss on my forehead.
     I exhaled when he stepped back and walked to the fridge to pull out the orange juice again. I willed my heart rate to slow as he poured another glass of juice and handed it to me.
     "Oh um thanks." I mumbled and took it from him. He nodded as I sipped it.
     "Sorry about that. I over stepped boundaries hoping you might be okay with it." He apologized and rubbed the back of his neck.
     "It's okay. But I don't feel the way you feel about me towards you... You're an incredibly close friend and ideally perfect but I think it'd be best if we stayed friends." I offered a small smile and set my now empty glass in the sink.
     "Yeah I get that. I'm glad we're still friends tho." He nodded slowly still looking down.
     "You still comin to my show?" I asked with a bigger smile and nudged his arm with my shoulder.
     He gave me a cheeky grin. "Wouldn't miss it for the world." I grinned and wrapped my arms around his waste in a hug which he returned.
     "Now you better not act weird. Nothing has changed." I looked at him with a strict but playful face and poked his arm.
     Did I mention the muscles he had? I could definitely imagine him holding me in those arms against that chest and- Nope what the heck no I can't be thinking that.
     I shook me head slightly to get those thoughts out of my head.
     "Of course Miss Crown." He smiled using my last name. I smiled again.
     "Okay we seriously need to go to bed now." I said and threw his apple core away.
     "Yes ma'am." He said and pretended to tip his hat. I nodded.
     "G'night."
     "Night."
     I watched him walk up the stairs before grabbing another apple, slipping on my boots, and sneaking outside.