Chapter 2: Ride to Remember

I woke up with a start to thunder booming and the impact of the truck hitting a hard bump and flipping off the road. I screamed as the truck flipped and rolled to my side and the glass shattered cutting my face.
     The airbag on my side didn't go off but the one on mum's did and she looked okay when the truck stopped rolling it was laying on my side. Mum had a cut on her forehead and a few on her arms but that looked like the most of it.
     I looked around feeling dizzy and saw my brother, who had blood pouring down his arm, screaming at me. I don't know what he was saying tho because my ears were ringing. Mum had passed out and Xander was shaking me. I looked from mum and back at him while red clouded my vision.
     My whole side was screaming in pain and my eyesight was becoming spotted. Xander grabbed my shoulders and shook me hard. It looked like he was yelling at me to wake up which was weird because I thought I was awake. Soon my vision went black and everything stilled.
     Peace, that was what I felt. Calmness. Alone but it was nice. That was before my ears picked up the sound of a steady repeating beep. That was my first sense. Next I smelt something like hand sanitizer and old people. Weird. My fingers twitched and grasped around some type of material that felt crinkly and mildly uncomfortable. I licked my lips and noticed how chapped they were and how dry my mouth was. I slowly opened my eyes and light seeped in immediately and I shut them.
     "Hey?" I croaked calling to see if someone was there. If someone was I doubt they could hear me my voice was so quiet.
     "Hey." My brother whispered and I was grateful he was in here.
     "Lights. Water." I managed to rasp.
     "Oh uh yeah." He said and I heard him shuffle and then I heard a click signaling the light had been turned off.
     I then heard some rustling which I'm guessing was him shutting the blinds. Slowly, I pried my eyes open and squinted. My head turned in the direction I heard water running and I saw Xander filling a glass with tap water.
     He walked over to me and helped me sit up and brought the glass to my lips helping me to quench my thirst.
     "Thanks." I whispered. My throat was feeling a bit better. "How's mum?" I asked.
     "She's fine it was you we were so worried about." He replied while taking his seat beside my bed.
     I shivered and pulled the thin and sad excuse of a blanket over my shoulders. Why are all hospital rooms so cold and their blankets so thin?
     "Well what's the damage?" I asked taking the glass to get another sip.
     "Well you've been out for 5 days-" He started but I cut him off.
     "WHAT?" I exclaimed sitting up which he forced me back down.
     "Shut up and lemme finish." He complained and I slapped his arm away from me. "As I was saying, you were out 5 days after the crash. You seemed in a daze and I was trying to keep you awake but you kept dozing off until you finally passed out. Mum passed out on impact but woke up the next day. She got 5 stitches in her head and 7 in her arm. I only got 6 stitches in my arm but that was the extent of my damage. You however..." he dragged on and I listened quietly.
     "I what?" I urged him to continue. I sat up to listed better but a sharp pain in my side made my cry out and stop. Worried, Xander shot up and placed his hand on my back helping me lay back down. The entire time he was chanting be careful.
     "You had 10 stitches in your head, 2 broken ribs, and a slight concussion." He whispered softly scared to upset me.
     I nodded slowly taking everything in. "The broken ribs explains the side pain. How long until I get my stitches out and my ribs heal?" I felt around in my hair until I felt the stitches. It seemed pretty clean the bump wasn't severe so maybe it wouldn't be a noticeable scar.
     "The doctor said 2 or 3 weeks on the stitches and 5 weeks until your ribs are healed enough to continue with light activities and 10 weeks until they are fully healed." He fumbled with his fingers.
     "That's not bad." I smiled and took his hand while he just nodded. "What's wrong?" I asked.
     He teared up which startled me. "I'm so sorry this is my fault." He frantically said and squeezed my hand. "If only I let him have my cookie then we wouldn't have to move. I can't believe I almost lost my sister over a cookie." He said upset and a tear rolled down his face.
     I couldn't help myself, I busted out laughing and couldn't stop no matter how much it hurt my side. He glared at me with teary eyes.
     "It's... Not... Your... Fault..." I said between laughs and breaths.
     "Whatever." He mumbled but cracked a smile and glared at me.
     As if on cue, my mother and the doctor walked in. Mum rushed to my side and hugged me while placing kisses on my forehead.
     "My baby I was so scared. I'm so sorry that happened. I'm so glad you're okay." She said so fast I couldn't get a word in so I just hugged her and ran my hand down her curly red hair that was so different from my straight waist long dark brown hair.
     "It's okay and I'm okay." I smiled and released her from my hug. She sniffled and smiled before turning to the doctor. They talked about future appointments and when I'd get released among other things and I zoned out.
*************************************************
Authors note:
Pic above it Xander