Chapter 1: Hard to say Goodbye

The rain beat the window of the truck mercilessly as my mother drove down the highway. I was still keeping my vow of silence and stared out the passenger side window resting my chin in my hand and my elbow on the door.
    "Look Alex it's not that bad you'll like it there. It's beautiful just wait 'til ya see it." My mother said with her slight southern accent.
     She reached and took my left hand in hers and gave it a squeeze. I rolled my eyes and pulled my hand from hers and rested it in my lap. I'd like it better if we didn't have to move but I wouldn't tell her that because that would make me break my vow of silence.
     My birthday was in 3 weeks and I'd be turning 17 in June. As an early birthday present, mum decided to drop the bomb the we were moving. She claims the place is beautiful and better than where we were. Mum said the school here is better and I'd have more opportunities in life here.
     I was living in Huston Texas going to school at South Lane High which I will admit, it wasn't a great school. It was small and the teachers could care less about the students. Vaping in the bathroom was common so I avoided the bathrooms between classes at all times. Fights broke out every day over stupid things like the last time when Mike stole Xander's cookie so Xander punched him in the nose and that started a war.
     "She'll come 'round mum just give her time. I mean ya did rip us from our old lives and our friends that we've been with for 8 years." My brother Xander, yes the one who started the cookie war, said.
     "Maybe if you didn't start fights every other day I wouldn't have been so serious about moving." Mum frowned.
     "Mum that was my cookie! I payed a whole dollar for it! I was gonna eat it!" He complained.
     My brother was real immature sometimes to be 17 years old. He'd be 18 in August.
     "Then why didn't you just buy another cookie?" Mum asked quizzically.
     "I didn't want another one! It was the last M&M cookie..." He pouted and glared out the window.
     I rolled my eyes again and continued to stare out the window and watched the sky water the earth. The gloomy sky showed the emotions I was feeling as I was leaving everything I knew and everyone I loved behind.
     We had been on the road for hours and all I knew was that we were headed to Cheyenne Wyoming.
     I broke things off with my boyfriend 5 weeks ago when I found out we were moving and he took it well considering we were together for 2 years.
     However, my best friend Katie did not take it well. She made plans such as hiding me under her bed or in her closet where mum couldn't find me so I couldn't leave and honestly, I considered it. Katie and I had been friends since I moved after she spilt her orange juice on me in front of her friends to look cool. She instantly regretted it and helped me clean it up. That was the day she stopped rolling with the mean girls and hung out with me.
     I hated that I was leaving these people behind but at least I had these memories. Life must go on even if it was hard saying goodbye.
     I watched as the raindrops raced each other rolling down the window until I drifted off.
*************************************************Author's note:
     Hello lovelies! I know this chapter is short but it's more of an introduction chapter to get to know the characters and feel how they feel. I hope you like it! Btw pic of Alex and her main barrel horse Apache.