Chapter 4 - Proposals

Start from the beginning

"Wow." Sebastien flicked his wrist out. "That's quite a handshake." His laugh was nervous, but it failed to mask what odds-on felt like the numbness of a dead arm. Imagine being that strong? Greco must've known it. Men like him were never unaware.

Don't ask me how many times I repeated the words why is he here to see me in my head, but it was probably a record. I'd say I'd managed a good hundred echoes in thirty seconds. It's not like I'd done anything terrible yesterday. All I did was get a bit brave demanding to see the boss and be in a place I really wasn't supposed to be.

And if anything, it was him who was in the wrong, withholding significant information like who exactly he was to the company. The thought still annoyed me. Like seriously pissed me off. It was embarrassing if you ask me.

"I'm here actually to give you an invitation," he said, as he pulled out two elaborately decorated envelopes. "My assistant usually does these things but this was something I wanted to do personally. Particularly as I was interested in seeing you again."

My mouth felt dry. I licked my lips and involuntarily noticed Jacey's expression. She was confused, most likely from what he said last than what he said first.

Greco handed her an invitation, and I, surprised, took mine. It was an invite to one of the flashiest business functions held in Central London; The Rayflower Town Hall Event. An event named after Harry Rayflower; one the city's biggest investors in community projects. It had now turned into an exclusive event by invitation-only, where high-profile attendees were the focus and drew a lot of attention from the press.

I'd bet this invitation cost a fair penny. Talk about elegant. With its granite colouring, embossed font, and raised border, my remaining bank balance couldn't cover just two of these. No expenses spared.

"Why are we invited?" I felt grossly out of place, and he looked it here. No one's ever worn a suit like that in this office.

Probably shouldn't speak in place of my boss when she was in more of a position to ask questions than I was, but I just had to ask. Considering the scale and calibre of the event, it just didn't make sense.

"Because I wanted you to be there," he simply said.

"But—"

"I need you to represent yourselves," stated Greco with his matter-of-fact, no-nonsense side, as he settled his hands in his pockets. He turned to my boss. "Namely you Jacey, to bring awareness to your organisation. But I have other plans for you, Ariel."

I lifted an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

He smiled, that silvery glance holding all the intention I didn't want to think about. When gazes penetrate it was probably best not to think about what else can do that. I almost felt dizzy, as if he were searching my face and causing me to lose myself.

"I want you to accompany me as my date for the evening."

My bottom lip dropped. Say what now? Was I really hearing him straight? Or fantasizing? Again. I didn't want to embarrass myself by poking my finger into his arm to make sure he was physically there. No doubt his arm wouldn't be near soft enough for me to print my finger into his skin. His body seemed so solid.

Nope, not a fantasy. It really was real. I could tell because, like before, he had a knack of smelling so good. Like the earth. Fresh, rich, calm, yet subtle and wild. There's no smell in a dream, so yes, he was real. That was real.

"I can't." I managed to muster. In honesty, I shook a bit at the thought.

"You can. I'm sure."

"Oh, really now?" I snapped out of my slight spell. "What, like that coffee?" I jibed, smug.

"What coffee?" Jacey's brows tightened.