Chapter 2: Restoration (part 2)

Jisun stared at the castle walls, gently running her fingers along them

Jisun stared at the castle walls, gently running her fingers along them. It was different from both the ice castle and the castle Mark grew up in, located in the centre of all eight realms.

They had just finished moving in, them and the servants getting adjusted. It felt different, but in a good way. It was a fresh beginning, not only for them but for the whole country they would be running together.

Mark poked out from one of the rooms, a smile on his face. "There you are."

"Looking for me?" Jisun asked, smiling back as she approached the love of her life, a light bounce to her step. "Or did you get lost again?"

"This place isn't that big." Mark chuckled, taking her hand. "But it will take some getting used to."

"It's not everyday that you become the King of Orenda." Jisun giggled, leaning onto Mark's shoulder.

"What can I say? I guess I'm lucky to have an amazing girl standing by my side." Mark replied, lightly running the back of his hand against her cheek. He soon removed it though, as if he remembered something. "Did I ever show you my sister's letter to me?"

"Huh?" Jisun was confused. Why is he suddenly bringing up Grace?

"Here wait, give me a moment." Mark said, motioning to the waiting room. "Go get settled and I'll be right back."

Jisun did as told and a few moments later, Mark returned, now with a letting in his hand. She stared at the writing of his late sister, wondering what she had written that made it so important to Mark.

"Here, you can read this." Mark said, passing Jisun his late sister's letter. "I'm going to get something from our bedroom on the other side of the castle while you do that."

"Alright?" He gave her a quick kiss before running out of the room, as if someone was chasing him. Once he was gone, she unfolded the paper, staring at the writing inside.

Dear Mark, the letter began.

My annoying brother that makes me concerned for his own well-being every five seconds but also the person my life is attached to, holding a bond like no other. I want to apologize for leaving you so soon.

I have so much to say but limited space, so I'll try not to write a novel for your sake. I want to first say that no, my death is not your fault and you should stop hating yourself because of it. Ever since the realms were connected again, none of our lives were safe, and I didn't realize how dangerous it was until I lost some of the closest people to me.

If I'm dead, I know for a fact that it would be because I sacrificed my life for yours. Knowing you, Mark, you would do the same for me, so if you're reading this, you must have a heavy burden on your heart.

After losing Jungwoo, I began thinking about the potential of this situation more and more. We both knew that one day, one of us had to make that choice, we just didn't know when. So I kept thinking to myself, what would I do if I had to make the choice?