Chapter 1: Grievance

"It's cursed

"It's cursed." Aera said, placing her brother's sword inside the glass case. "Luminosa's goals haven't changed after all these years."

Jisung watched as Aera stared at her late brother's vare. It had been a few days now since the war had ended, and she had finally gotten herself out of her room to return her brother's sword to its case in the hallways of the castle.

"What do you mean?" Jisung asked, placing an arm around Aera's shoulders as she sniffed, still finding it hard to accept her brother's death. "How is the sword cursed?"

"Luminosa is a realm that has been striving for peace since the beginning of time." Aera told him. "Taeyong's sword is a family heirloom, a vare passed down for generations. The first king got a spell cast on it though, so if you ever used it to kill, you would die the same death. That was how the king wanted to reinforce the idea that you should be kind to your enemies, striving to work with them instead of against them."

Jisung didn't know what to say as it all began making sense to him. "So you mean..."

Aera nodded her head, closing the glass case. "When Jaehyun killed my brother, the curse killed him as well."

Jisung's mouth hung open, his hand quickly covering it. "Do you think your brother planned this?"

"Knowing him, he probably did." Aera sighed, shaking her head. She looked up at Jisung with watery eyes.

"Want a hug?" Jisung offered, opening his arms.

Aera didn't even bother responding, quickly hugging Jisung as she buried her face in his chest.

...

Mark gripped the paper tightly, gritting his teeth. He had finished reading his sister's will and hated himself for not seeing the signs earlier.

"There's nothing you could have done." Rosa told him, standing across the room, leaning against the wall. "She would have done that to herself one way or another."

"But this happened because of me!" Mark exclaimed, throwing down Grace's will. "She died because she exchanged her life for mine! She should have just left me dead!"

"And what good would that have done?" Rosa yelled back, her eyes turning jet black instantly. A dark figure loomed behind her, casting shadows on the wall.

Mark gulped, not used to seeing Rosa this angry. He watched as Rosa soon realized what she was doing, quickly wiping her eyes.

"Sorry, I know how much she means to you but she meant a lot to me too." Rosa said softly. She shook her head, opening the door. "We should talk about this another day."

Before Mark could reply, Rosa quickly ran out of the room, not even bothering to close the door. Mark took a deep breath, standing up to close it when someone else appeared in the doorway.