Chapter 4: Restoring Old Bonds

Luminosa truly was the realm of light

Luminosa truly was the realm of light. Even as the day turned to night, the stars high in the sky, the moon seemed to shine bright, lighting up the land.

Grace was witnessing this beautiful sight in the halls of the castle, far away from the ball. She was with a complete stranger in a foreign realm, yet she didn't feel any hint of danger whatsoever.

What is wrong with me?

"Beautiful, isn't it?" The man said, breaking the silence. "This is my favourite place."

"It is." Grace agreed before glancing over. "You grew up here, in the castle, didn't you?"

"I did." The man said, the light in his eyes diminishing ever so slightly. "I may not be a royal, but I grew up like one."

"Being a royal really isn't that great." Grace said, turning back to the window. "The power difference isn't a lot and your life is basically set up for you the day you're born."

"Is that how you ended up in an unwanted arranged marriage?" Grace turned her head and the man motioned to her hands. "Fiancé but neither of you wear your rings. I think that says enough about how you feel about each other."

"You're observant." Grace said, ignoring his statement.

"I've been observing you all night."

Grace froze but not because of the man's words but because the sound of a trolly being rolled down the hall was echoing through their ears.

"Displays of public affection make people uncomfortable and they tend to turn away." The man suddenly blurted out.

Grace had no idea what that meant until the sound of a servant approaching got louder and felt herself get pushed against the wall, the stranger's lips meeting hers.

...

"If you drop that, you're dead to me." Chenle said, giving Jisung his most prized possession and vare. His phone.

"That's a bad idea." Aera said, peeking out from behind Jisung. "He drops everything."

"Shh." Jisung said as Chenle taught him the controls. "I can do this."

"Sure you can." Chenle smirked, entertained by Jisung's innocence.

On the other side of the ballroom, there were two from neighbouring realms but couldn't be anymore different.

"Say that again and I'll freeze where it hurts." Sona threatened.

"Oh try me, babe. I'm made of fire." Haechan replied, teasing her with a smile.

"If you insist, I will." Sona said, reaching for her vare as Haechan did the same. Before either of them could use their powers on each other though, the clearing of their throats made their heads turn.

"I believe that use of your powers is forbidden here." The male in all green said. The girl with him seemed mortified by the two, standing a bit behind him with half her body covered by his.