Chapter 51

If it means something to you, Fight for it.

Aaiza's Pov

"He looks so cute when he is asleep" I look at the angel face baby in my bestfriend's arms.
Naisha smiles at her baby and kisses his forehead softly. "I have never loved someone so much as much as I love this human"
A soft smile forms on my face as I watch the mother and the baby adoringly.
"I am seeing you both being so close now." She says referring Zaid and I.
A bashful smile appears on my face.
"I like the growth too." I reply.
She gingerly keeps the sleeping baby in its cot now and sits crosslegged facing me.
Naisha takes my hand in hers and looks at me somberly "Tell me you are happy."
"I am" I say nodding with a cheerful smile hugging her.
"I am so happy for you." She pulls apart, her eyes gleaming.
"He's opened up to me slowly, I understand him better, he understands me better. He is sweet, caring and tries to be his best self with me and
I can't help but appreciate him more everyday. He says he is willing to fight his demons to keep me happy in his life." I explain, my bestfriend listening to my every word.
"He was always worth the effort Nay." I look up at her my eyes shining.

Zaid's Pov   
"Oh Zaid, you've been avoiding me since a time. I had to do this."
Layla stands in front of me, her arms crossed on her chest and her bright lips curving up in a usual wry smile. I carefully keep the manila envelope aside.
"I had thrown you out, I can do that again. What do you want Ms Malek?" I ask acidly.
"Well Well, What do I want. There's a list you know." She says making herself comfortable on the chair in front of my desk.
"Manners have always been first on your list, Right?. I mean the way you barge in on anyone with a sense of entitlement you carry." I smirk sarcastically leaning back on my chair.
Layla's face falls but she soon contours it with her usual fake bright smile.
"Not a single change I see, just like we left it." She says triggering me.
"Mind your tongue you blonde face shit." My eyes were throwing daggers by now.
I hear her sigh heavily and then her expression changes,
The same innocent face, the face with so much pain, The same sweet face which was easy to manipulate me.
"I am sorry Zaid, I have been regretting it all my life. I know I was crazy, I didn't have any way out. I broke up with you for your own good. I always loved you Zaid, Always." She looks up at me with tears shining in her eyes.
I stare at her stoneface, "Waterworks no longer work Sweetheart."
She blinks letting a tear roll on her expensive foundation on her cheeks.
"I know you would never believe me, but I know you were always waiting. Nobody Zaid, Nobody has ever made me feel like you did."
My jaw clenches at her confession.
"Its difficult to forgive me right now, You needed time for yourself Zaid, All the drama in your life was too much too handle at that moment. We both needed time. We both needed our space. Your Psychopath Uncle had almost shot you, you had no where to go, How long have you been hiding with the lawyer's son. God Damn we were just teenagers, It was never easy for me."
"I suppose it was easy going and dating my step uncle's son." I say and her mouth forms an O.
"You think I won't know, and also if you are thinking why didn't I confront you. I didn't really consider it my place to do so. I had a lot on my plate back then, to get back what was of my father's. The lawyer's son you say, he was there for me, Its Mr Arzai for you. A person who leaves you at the time of crisis is never really your person. You may leave Ms Malek. Let the past be in the past." I say getting up from chair and walking behind her.
I can't tell her that it was so painful back then when I needed someone the most in my life, and she chose to walk all over me.
I see her fists clench, Agitated or Remorseful I don't understand. She turns the chair and stands up behind me.
"I have come to mend things here Zaid."
"Why now?, Has my so called rich brother stopped throwing enough money on you? or let me guess he lost it in gambling like his father?" I watch her eyes narrow in frustration.
"I needed the money, He asked me out after we broke up." She exclaims making me scoff.
"You think I am going to buy that? You walked away when you came to know I wasn't going to win over them, You thought I was a failure." I point at her and she gulps.
"You never really loved me just the things I provided you and just because you found me hotter than other teens. So as soon as my cousin comes to you with a proposal which was before we broke up, I know you've been talking to him, even when you knew the relation I had with them. Whose the traitor her Layla?" I ask.
"I accept it, I should've been there for you. But right now I am trying, really."
"Should, is the past, I don't look back, and in my present I am married." I give her a small smile fixing my tie.
"You don't love that woman a bit." She says venomously
"Look at her and look at me. Who do you think looks best beside you. She's got nothing." Every word coming out of her mouth spat poison.
With a rage of anger I hold her by her arm and pull her towards the exit "I have got no time for your bullshit woman".