Sixteen

Chris looks different now. His eyes are no longer fully black orbs, instead they are two ordinary dark brown pupils. His face is even more scratched and bruised than the last time I saw him.

I pick up my mask, the visage repairing itself. I look down at Charlie's body.

"Let's go, your friends are looking for you!" I ignore Chris, stooping by the body. I gently remove the limp wrist from beneath the crumpled body. I pull up the sleeve.

"HERO"

"This doesn't make any sense..." I mutter, confused. Chris bends down beside me, staring at the tattoo reproachfully.

"Don't tell anyone about this." He whispers hoarsely.

"This bastard tried to kill me TWICE and he gets 'HERO'?" I retort angrily.

"Your group is divided enough as it is. You tell them and you'll get ostracised again. Trust me, I saw it."

In the future? I rise, confused to the point of silence and walk towards the junction. The others reappear in the second tunnel.

"020 where the fuck did you go- WHY ARE YOU COVERED IN BLOOD?!" Jaemin hollers, rushing towards me, asking questions hurriedly.

"Oh, it's not mine, don't worry..."

"Oh phew... WAIT WHAT?!"

"Why do I recognise you?" Taro squints through his visor as he stares closely at Chris. Chris smiles nervously, resting his hand on the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Anyway 020, I'm glad you're okay," Johnny doesn't bother to hide his suspicion, his eyes not leaving Chris's crossbow.

"-You can have it if you want!" Chris offers graciously, handing Johnny the bow. Johnny gulps, flustered, declining with his hand.

"We've tested four of the tunnels, meaning the last one is definitely going to take us to the exit." Johnny continues, perturbed by how nice Chris is.

"AYO MAN WHAT'S YO NAME?" Mark, however, is not bothered at all.

"It's Chris-"

"Can I try that bow thingy?" Mark interrupts eagerly, pointing at the crossbow.

"Sure, knock yourself out..." Chris begins, handing the weapon into Mark's fervent grip.

"Dude, where did you even get this?"

"Rare supplies box. They appear when you least expect them. It's a glitch."

With that advice, Chris begins to instruct him on how to use the weapon.

"First you aim it- OH SHIT!" Mark has accidentally fired an arrow. It strikes the wall slightly above Nick's head, missing him by inches.

"BLOODY HELL!" Nick sinks to his knees, yelling loudly. Johnny yanks the crossbow from Mark, who watches the chaos he has created with amazement.

"MARK JUST TRY NOT TO KILL ANYONE ALRIGHT?!" Johnny shouts with exasperation. Mark nods swiftly, with hasty apologies and excuses.

Day 3 is almost over, candidates

Johnny hands the crossbow back to Chris and we run down the last tunnel.

The candidates aren't trying nearly as hard as they should.

I decelerate, confused. The voice is not talking to me directly. But why am I the only one to hear it?

Release the hounds.

An unautomated cold voice snaps. The original voice diminishes as a siren blares in my head.

Immobilised by the deafening pitch, I drop to the floor, hands clenched over my ears, begging, screaming for it to stop.

The others crowd around, brimming with concern and confusion. Mouthing words, shouting them, but I can't hear them. The siren continues its thunderous wail. My head feels as if it's about to explode.

The siren stops, replaced with the sound of large, padded feet bounding away.

Blood hounds.

I raise my head. Chris is adjacent to me.

"What happened?"

"I heard the creators," the others exchange glances. "They sounded an alarm to release the bloodhounds again."

"Are you sure?" Johnny asks urgently. I nod fervently. Sam curses loudly. Mark holds up a finger suddenly.

"Listen!"

A hush settles over us. Distant screams and growls echo down the corridors. A wretched cry rings ahead.

"SOMEBODY HELP US!"

I know that voice.

It's James.