Lights, Camera... Action?

Start from the beginning

There's nothing else for it. I thought, slamming the bonnet shut and grabbing my bag from the front seat.

I was going to have to run. I kicked off my heels, throwing them into the top of my back, and after locking my car, I set off, racing up the street, barefooted and desperate.

My feet ached with every stride, crashing into the hard pavement as I pushed myself to run faster and faster, lungs burning with each sharp breath. I dodged early morning shoppers, and rapidly moving bikes as I wove through the various obstructions that stood between me and my destination.

When the building finally came into view, I pumped my arms faster, trying to close the gap as quickly as possible.

Almost there! I repeated over and over again in my head.

My rapid breaths were all that I could hear, and when I finally reached the doorway, I almost collapsed, doubling over attempting to draw in enough oxygen to slow my racing heart and re-steady my breathing. I was late, only by a few minutes, but I knew that I wasn't going to win any popularity contests from such an error this early in my career. Still, I didn't have time to dwell on it right now.

Throwing myself through the doors, I followed the instructions that I'd been given, locating the studio and rushing inside, announcing my arrival to the smartly dressed assistant, who tipped his head in surprise, examining me over the rim of thin, square spectacles, before ticking me off his list and directing me away with a disgusted look. I tried to hide my embarrassment and continued further into the room, stopping short as I caught sight of my reflection in a pane of glass opposite me, letting out an audible gasp. My clothes were a shambles, my top had come untucked at various places, and there were black smudges on my hands from my car. Beads of sweat were peppered across my forehead, whilst my skin was flushed red from a mixture of the early morning heat, and the immense sprinting session that I'd been hugely unprepared for. My make-up looked like it was about ready to melt off of my face, and my previously well-styled hair was now stuck to my damp skin, looking far too windswept to look natural, looking more like what I'd expect from a backcombed porcupine.

"Well, what do we have here?" A cold voice came from behind me.

I whirled around, coming face to face with the intimidating glamazon of a woman that I recognised from my audition and call-back.

"Miss Renauldi, I'm so sorry, my ca-"

She held up a hand to silence me, her silver eyes narrowing with distaste.

"Your excuses are of no significance. I'm sure they are most thrilling to you, but to me, they don't matter," She said firmly. "In this business, all that matters is getting your shit together, turning up on time and doing your job well."

If it was possible to turn a brighter shade of red, I was sure that getting scolded right now, would achieve it. I felt like shrinking away into my handbag. Various faces nearby had turned toward me, watching the new girl getting chewed out for being late.

"Currently, this is your first job in this town, and you're screwing up at the simplest hurdle." She looked at my less than presentable appearance and shook her head, "This studio costs money, the photographers, staff... everything costs money. With that in mind, we don't waste time with people who aren't going to pull their weight. There are countless women in this city who would kill for such an opportunity, you ought to take it more seriously if you intend to make it further in this industry."

Her words winded me, leaving me standing agape in front of her. Not taking it seriously? Was she serious?

"You may leave, you're done here," She added with a wave of her arm, turning away from me and making to sweep off across the studio.

Blood pounded in my ears as I stared after her. I'd been looking forward to this job ever since I'd gotten it, before then even. I'd worked my ass off to get any chance I could since I'd been here, and she was content to send me away before I'd even had a shot, all for being three minutes late?

Nuh-uh.

"With respect," I called after her, advancing a few steps as she spun around to face me. "You have no idea what you're talking about."

She rose a perfectly shaped, black brow at me in surprised interest, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I'm taking this entire job more seriously than you can imagine. It's been my dream for as far back as I can remember, and I moved thousands of miles, across the country, alone, to be here and to pursue that dream," My voice rose in frustration as I stared her down determinedly, "I've gone to more auditions than I can even count, barely slept in order to memorise and perfect scripts, and still been rejected time and time again. Today is my first break since I got here, and my car, which has never had a single issue, by the way, has just crapped out on me moments before I was due to get here."

There was a small laugh from a nearby cameraman, who watched me with amusement whilst Miss Renauldi continued to stare at me with moderate interest, her ice-queen eyes crinkling as she squinted at me, as though examining a deadly insect.

"So yes, I may be late, and I may look like a trainwreck, but I am determined. I could have turned back and gone home, called and cancelled even, but I didn't, because I don't give up. I wouldn't have just run eight blocks in bare feet to get here if I didn't care about making it in this industry. So please, just give me a chance. I will work harder than anyone to prove I deserve it, but just, please... don't make me walk away from this."

The entire room was silent as I waited for her to pass her judgement. The corner of her mouth twitched, curving into a slight smile as she nodded once.

"Okay, you have ten minutes. If you're not cleaned up, changed and back out here by then, you're done here."

I nodded quickly, drawing my bag higher on my shoulder and hurrying toward the bathroom sign at the other side of the room. I'd made it a quarter of the way when she called after me:

"Oh and Miss McCall?"

"Yes?"

"I'm deducting the wasted time from your paycheck."

My heart sunk a little at that, but still grateful for being given a second chance, I dipped my head in acceptance.

"You now have nine and a half minutes," She said sharply.