Chapter 13 - Just Leave Me Alone

Start from the beginning

I cried. What is the point of life if nothing good comes out of it?

The door to my room opened. A lady with short brown hair walked up to me.

"Hi, Cassie," she said, "I'm Stacey. How are you feeling?"

I didn't answer. Who was this lady?

"Well, I'm your new social worker. If you need anything at all just tell me and you've got it."

"Where's Kyle?" My voice was dry.

Stacey picked up a cup on the table and put it to my lips.

I drank not knowing how thirsty I was.

"Dear, he's been put in juvenile detention."

"What? Why?"

"He attacked your foster father, George." She explained.

"What he didn't attack him. Kyle was just protecting me from him."

She nodded to show that she was listening, but I knew she could do nothing about it.

"Can I see him?"

"I'm sorry, Cassie, not now."

"When?"

"I'm not sure."

I was truly utterly alone. I hadn't helped Kyle. I had put him in juvy. It was all my fault. Tears ran down my face. It was all my fault. Everything was my fault. I shouldn't be here.

~~~

I woke up with my face wet with tears. I must have cried while asleep.

No one was in my room. The feeling of isolation from three years ago came back.

I hugged my pillow. I wasn't alone, I thought. But I was.

I cried until I had no more tears to shed.

After a little while, Cole came in.

"Hey, how you feeling?"

"Better," physically. Not mentally. But I didn't tell him that.

"Good, maybe you can come home sooner."

"Why can't I just go home now?" I asked.

I raised my arms, "Carry me to the car,"

He laughed, "Maybe tomorrow."

I had spent two days in the room and I was starting to smell. The nurse tried to clean me with washcloths. I still felt gross. I wanted to go home already.

The nurse made me get up and move around every day. I never wanted to. The nightmare memories happened every night. It would be the same car crash.

I was finally released from the hospital on the 6th day.

The boys were all at school. Mom and Dad brought me home to an empty house. I could walk and go upstairs, but Dad insisted on helping me.

I immediately took a shower and followed the doctor's directions on keeping the wound clean.

I lied down on my bed glad to be home. Home. When did I start calling this place home? Was it home? I think it was. This was my home. Woah. The feeling relaxed me. I smiled.

There was a knock at my door.

"Come in," I said.

Mom and Dad came in.