4. The Hogwarts Express

Willow got back home with a wide smile on her face as she called, "I'm home, Papi!"

"Hey, Willa," a voice said. Turning, she let out a surprised cry and rushed toward Nate.

"Nate!" she cried, hugging him tightly.

Smiling, he chuckled, "Good to see you too."

"What're you doing here?" she asked, pulling away from him. "I thought you were searching for unicorn herds in Finland?"

"I was," Nate replied with his easy smile. "Papi owled me to come home once he heard you'd graduated."

"What? Nate, you didn't have to," Willow said.

"Come on, Willa, we need to celebrate this," he said excitedly. "You realize, you got two job licences at the same time in just five years."

"Yeah, I did," she said confidently, although she couldn't help that her cheeks flushed from the complement. "So, since you're here anyway, what did you have in mind?"

"Well, first something with Papi and then with just the two of us like old times," he suggested, nudging her arm playfully.

"What should we do with Papi?" Willow asked, trying to search her brain.

"Well, you know how he's always going on about the one pet he's always wanted?" Nate remarked.

"Nate," Willow said, raising a warning finger at him. "No."

"Oh, come on, Willa, with both of us gone and Mum and Dad working abroad again, he'll have no one here with him," Nate countered. "I think it would be good for him to have something to take care of and he's always wanted one. Come on, Willa."

Willow sighed, staring at her older cousin's excited eyes before she called, "Papi! We're going out tonight." Nate's eyes lit up and he smiled, hugging her tightly. She let out a laugh and returned the hug just as Ollivander himself appeared and come down to join them.

"Where're we going?" he asked.

"You'll see," Nate said mischievously.

⥖💮⽊💮⥗

To say that their grandfather was excited about his new pet peacock would be the biggest understatement of the century. When Willow saw how excited he was, she was surprised he didn't die of shock. He had been prattling off to himself the whole way home. When they did eventually get the large bird all set up in its new home, he turned to them and said, "But I don't- I don't understand. What was this all for?"

"To thank you, Papi," Willow explained. "I have achieved so much, but it wasn't just me who got me there. It was also you. Nate and I just wanted to give you something to remind you that we love you."

"Ah," he said thickly, beginning to tear up as he approached his grandchildren. He hugged them and said, "I'm so proud of both of you."

"We know, Papi," Nate replied. "Now, Willa and I are going out for a bit. Love you."

"You too," he replied, smiling at them as Willow waved.

⥖💮⽊💮⥗

Ms. Ollivander,
For the sake of convenience, I have decided a few of our new staff will be arriving by the Hogwarts Express. I believe you recall how to get there. Have a safe journey and see you for the feast.
Albus Dumbledore

With her letter in hand, Willow got through the barrier and found herself instantly surrounded by students. She smiled, fond memories coming to mind as she pushed past them to get to the train. It was a quarter til the train was supposed to leave, so few students were already in. She moved along, trying to decide where to sit until she spotted another adult. He looked drowsy and worn, but he was still awake.

Sliding open the compartment door, she asked, "Mind if I join you?"

"Not at all," he replied, becoming slightly more alert. She smiled at him, moving her trunk so it would be easier to hoist up onto the rack. With a gracious smile, the man grabbed took care of it for her.

"Thank you," she said. "Willow Ollivander."

"Remus Lupin," he introduced.

"It's a pleasure, Mr. Lupin," Willow replied.

"Oh, please, just call me Remus," he replied.

"Alright then, Remus," she said. "Call me Willow then."

"Good to meet you, Willow," he replied. She nodded, sitting across from him with a book. She could tell he was attempting to fall asleep but seemed unable to.

"I have a sleeping draft if you need one," she offered. "I was going to take it myself, but you look like you need it more than I do."

"Oh, no I'm fine, thank you," Remus assured. "If you need it, then please take it."

"Split it?" Willow offered. "It'll keep both of us asleep for a few hours at least." When he still looked reluctant, she shrugged, getting out the vial and taking half of it out and directing it to her mouth with her magic. She handed over the vial and lay her head against the window. Soon, she was out like a light. Remus smiled, shaking his head and taking the other half. Soon, both of the adults were fast asleep.

⥖💮⽊💮⥗

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were searching along for an empty compartment when they found everywhere full. They stopped at the end, looking curiously at the compartment with only two occupants. The man was dressed in shabby robes and looked exhausted and almost ill. And although he couldn't be more than thirty-five, in truth he was thirty-three, and his hair was flecked with grey. The woman, Hermione noticed, was far more healthy-looking. Her dark hair was braided in a long french braid over her shoulder with some pieces out to frame her face. Her lips were scarlet and her dark grey robes were in far better condition.

"Who d'you reckon they are?" Ron asked.

"Professor R. J. Lupin," Hermione replied, reading off his case as they look the seats farthest from the two sleepers. "And someone with the initials W. P. A. O."

"Wonder what they teach," Ron said.

"That's obvious," Hermione said. "There's only one vacancy, isn't there? One of them must teach Defence Against the Dark Arts."

"Then why are there two of them?" Ron countered.

Shrugging, Hermione replied, "Maybe they're married?"

"No rings," Harry said, glancing at their hands. "Besides, they don't look in the same financial situation, do they?"

"No," Ron agreed. "Besides, they can't have the same last name. Hers starts with O."

"Or she didn't change her name," Hermione countered. "Or it's a case she's had since before they married."

"Well, let's hope they're up to it, whichever one it is," Ron said. "He looks like one good hex would finish him off, doesn't he? Anyway, what were you going to tell us, Harry?"