Chapter 41, The Beginning of the End

Depuis le début

"We do. That's why he won't hurt us. But within this group, there are clicks whether we admit it or not. He was very close with Tyler and Danielle--"

"But we were close too!" Caroline defended. He shrugged and Noah walked in on the conversation too.

"I don't think Danielle is going to bring him back. It's got to be Tyler." Noah sighed. The room fell silent. "Should we even give him his emotions? We can use it to our advantage. He can kill and feel no remorse."

"Noah, you don't know what it's like," Caroline said. We turned to her and she stared off into space. "He's screaming to be saved on the inside. It's like something takes over your body and you are trying to scream for help, but you're restrained." I looked at her in sympathy. I don't want to imagine how she felt during that. I wish she didn't have to experience it.

"All we need to do is make him have a power surge." Noah reminded us.

"But he's smart. He'll know when we try to do that." I added, looking at Caroline and Jason for any ideas. They are smart and often think of good plans.

"Yeah. He's not going to willingly power surge, and he doesn't look uncomfortable. When the chemical courses through you, Mana wants it out. Mana pushes the power against your veins to try to release it. It's painful." Caroline explained. I nodded, looking past Caroline to the boy who walked in. Kaeo. He smiled at us.

"Hey, guys. Want any breakfast?" He asked, walking toward the kitchen. I rolled my eyes as Jason began muttering stuff to Noah. We didn't get any explanation of Kaeo's part in this. He just expects us to trust him.

"No." I spat at him, marching toward him. "I want answers." I placed my hands on the counter while he stood on the opposite side. His eyes looked like they were admiring me, but his lips were serious. He didn't want me to think he was amused.

"Ask away. I'll give them to you."

"Why do you care, Maddie? He betrayed us." Jason said, coming to my side. I brushed him off. Just because he didn't care, doesn't mean I didn't.

"Were you always working with her? Is that why you approached me at the party?" I asked forcefully. Kaeo looked at my friends behind me, feeling awkward about answering in front of them. I was angry. I wanted answers.

"No." He cleared his throat, looking at me. "Maybe we can talk outside..."

"So you can feed her more lies?" Caroline accused him.

"No, because this seems personal–"

"Why should we trust you alone with her?" Jason was next to ask.

"I've never done anything to hurt her–"

"You betrayed us!" Caroline defended me, but this wasn't getting anywhere.

"Everyone shut up!" I yelled, turning to Kaeo. "You want to go outside? Fine. I can take care of myself." I walked to the front of the house that faced the ocean. There was a bench swing on the porch and some other chairs. He followed me outside and sat on the swing. I leaned against the post, facing him. "Were you always working for her?"

"No." He said, looking up at me with wide eyes. "When I saw you and your friends at the party, I just wanted to talk to you. There were rumors about these kids who showed up on Nani and Casper promised everything would be free. I wanted to see who these random Americans were."

"Why?"

"No one usually visits the island. I told you, Americans were easy to spot. Nani is not a popular island." He explained. I crossed my arms. "I remember Danielle on the beach earlier that day. She was talking to my friend, Matt. When I saw you all walk in, I thought you were pretty and I was interested. Our meeting was unplanned, and I know you felt the same spark I did. Maybe if we had more time..."