Then suddenly, Maria had burst out crying. "Oh, how long I had wanted a friend!" she had finally said, in between sobs.

Alice had tried her luck and had proceeded to hug her, but as she had suspected, she had passed right through her. Alice never tried it again from that day. Mostly, to avoid the sad look on her friend's face when she could not.

From that day, as soon as Alice used to be done with school and all her other work, she would rush to Maria who would come as soon as she called out. Maria never disturbed her during school. Apparently, even ghosts cared about education.

"How old are you?" Alice had asked Maria one day, as she had sat down after a long day of house chores. Maria had always looked about twenty to her.

"Do you know it is bad manners to ask a lady her age, Alice?" Maria had said in a sharp voice, though there had been a playful smile on her lips.

Alice had waved her hand. "I did know that, but I do not think it makes any sense. There is no need to ever be shameful of anything about yourself."

Maria had looked at her with pride. "I am twenty-two." She had then replied. Alice had been happy at first, her guess was so close. Then, it had struck her just how young Maria was.

Alice wanted to know all about Maria's life but had never pushed her. One thing she had learnt from Maria, was to respect privacy. She decided that until Maria would not tell her, she would not ask. Other than that, Maria was really easy to talk to. She seemed to know all gossip and the latest news, and would always tell Alice all of it.

"The best part is that no one realized I was there!" said Maria now, sounding proud of herself. Alice felt guilty, she had not heard a single word Maria had been saying. Her face must have given it away, because Maria said, "You have not heard a single word I have been saying, did you?" She demanded, shooting her an exasperated look.

Alice smiled, showing all her teeth. It was a smile she used whenever she had to convince Sophie about something. It always worked on her mother, and Alice discovered it seemed to work on everyone else she met.

"Typical Alice! Where did you disappear this time?" Asked Maria, who now looked a little less angry.

'Into the past! ' Thought Alice. Instead, she said, "Where else would Alice be, if not Wonderland?"

Maria rolled her eyes. She always hated comparing Alice with the book character. "You are far better and clever than to just run behind a white rabbit in dreams!" She had always said.

Maria sighed now. "Come Alice, it is getting dark and we better head home." They had come out for their usual evening walk, and to get some fresh air.

Alice absently tried to hold Maria's hand though when she did, her hand passed right through Maria's, and she stumbled. Maria did not seem to notice. She went on telling Alice how nice it was to pass through solid walls.

Alice quickly regained herself. She had never been able to touch any ghosts she normally saw. Never, except that one time.

It was the night of her sixteenth birthday. She had fought with her mother, during dinner. The reason being Sophie's absence in Alice's life.

"I thought today would be different and for once you would come home early!" Alice had shouted, before she had stormed off. "Do not follow me!" She had said, pausing at the kitchen door, looking at not her mother, but at Maria who had stopped right away. Though Alice had noticed Sophie flinch a little. She had quickly walked away, before she could start feeling guilty. After all, sixteenth birthdays only came once.